Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Punching a hole in the roof  (Read 1212 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Punching a hole in the roof
« on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:02 am »

I want to make a waterfall and for that I need to punch a hole in the roof under my river (so the water can come down) how is this done?

Thanks in advance,
~Pie

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Punching a hole in the roof
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:37:09 am »

well you could mine it so the water come sinto the room but have some hadges on the floor so the water would fall where it has to be.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:44:13 am »

the problem is that the area I want the water to come out of is mined out all ready

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:54:20 am »

no i mean 1 z-level up from where you want the water to go you can make a little room that has floor shafts them all a flood gate so it wont get to the rest of the fortress then mine the wall between the river get youre miner out open the floor shafts and close the floodgate and the water should go down there.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:12 am »

Alternatively, I believe that making an 'up ramp' underneath the river (thereby creating a 'down ramp' in the river itself) will cause the water to flow downwards, but I've never actually done it, so I don't have experience on the matter.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 06:54:58 am »

I'm new to the game, so test this first. But I think that a dwarf standing on an upward stairs will just remove the ceiling with a 'channel' command. This is how to 'channel' out an area from below (otherwise, you have to be above the area, of course).

Of course, if that worked, you'd need a way to remove the stairs afterwards. That might be tricky, with the water pouring down. But I'm pretty sure the stairs doesn't have to be directly under the ceiling tile you're removing. If that's the case, you might work out something clever for a stairs, then remove the whole thing one piece at a time afterwards.

Again, I'm a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt. But I think I even tried this once. If I remember correctly, the 'channel' designation must be given to the z-level above, but if there's no access from that level, then a dwarf can stand on an upward stairs below it and reach all around him to work (as well as straight up). So you might position a stairs on a platform behind the waterfall (assuming it will fall more than one level), then remove it and the platform afterwards, and wall up the opening again.

Good luck!

Bill

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:00:26 am »

Thanks guys,

I tried doing something really complicated and ended up flooding my fort...

Thanks again,

~Pie

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:06:03 am »

that sounds depressed  :'(
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:12:36 am »

always have flood gates when youre dealing with water even with a well or something easier,remember everything can go wrong and remember the DF moto losing is fun.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:50 am »

Im of the impression that a downward stairway above a upstairway will be dug/built from below, simply dig/build the up down stair way combo, then remove them, you'll then have a hole in your roof.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:00:28 am »

but how can you remove stairs i havent found a way yet.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:06:22 am »

but how can you remove stairs i havent found a way yet.
I believe it's something like 'Remove Up Stairs/Ramps' under the designate menu.  I forget which key, 'z', possibly.
Fefeshnelmargalip

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:13:31 am »

I believe it's something like 'Remove Up Stairs/Ramps' under the designate menu.  I forget which key, 'z', possibly.
You're right. d then z

ILikePie,* just simply build a series of stairs up to the water (don't dig into the water yet though), then, to make it into a hole, press d then z to remove the up stairs. Start with the highest one then work your way down.
Congratulations, you now have a skylight/waterfall.

*I cringed when I typed that.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:32:47 am »

yes. a upwards ramp designated below a waterholding tile digs a downward ramp into the bottom of that tile. water will pour down. (I used this often to drain murky ponds)

NEVER dig directly into a replenishing water-source (river/aquifier) without a water-lock of some sort.

Some people think that stairs conduct water more efficiently than ramps (in 7/7 blocks)
I honestly don't know for certain, anyhow for a waterfall, you probably don't want too efficient waterflow.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:33 am »

It might also be worth noting that when ice thaws, it always contains 7/7 water (even if there was less when it was frozen—this means it is possible to generate your own water from water in temperate and near-temperate biomes, though it's a slow process), and water sources (lakes, ponds etc.) that you've managed to drain completely in Fortress Mode will actually refill with water if you abandon the site and then reclaim it (whilst also preserving any water you'd taken from the original source, e.g. for a well. I didn't completely wall-off my well shaft from its access tunnel all the way up, one time, and upon reclaiming watched a once-dry lake suddenly filled with water ejecting its contents into the bottom of my well... which flooded).
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.
Pages: [1] 2