Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restrict to Bedroom  (Read 1270 times)

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Restrict to Bedroom
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:57:42 am »

Not sure about anyone else, but a command to make every dwarf move to their bedroom would be dead handy. Especially for those times when Gobbos have made it into the fortress past my million odd traps and are rampaging. Issue the command to move to bedroom, the dwarfs shuffle down into the room apartments, and the soldiers continue to mash into a troll without having to worry about my Legendary Miners wandering in. Food and drink might be a problem, but you could always build rooms around a central food store room or something.

Discuss?

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
Re: Restrict to Bedroom
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:52:05 am »

I like the idea (sounds more reasonable than Dwarves Stay Inside as it is), but what happens to bedless dwarves? Do they go to the barracks and possibly stay on the way, or do the clutter other people's rooms?

(I think being able to set a "shelter" zone like you do with meeting areas and pit/ponds would be more flexible.)
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:06:34 am »

Adding a zoning option indicating "this is the safest place in the entire fort" and an order for "dwarves go to safe place" would make a good addition, and you can store whatever supplies you like in the "bunker".
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:50:25 pm »

Adding a zoning option indicating "this is the safest place in the entire fort" and an order for "dwarves go to safe place" would make a good addition, and you can store whatever supplies you like in the "bunker".

An easy extension to this would be the ability to set and name multiple such zones, and have a "--soldiers or civilians or all-- Go to zone" order, where you choose from the list.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:15:20 pm »

Adding another option to zoning could fix this. Make a designation for soldiers and one for civilians. Then add in one more option for inside/outside/soldiers outside only, such as ordering people to their respective zones.

Forcing soldiers to move to the soldier zones and civilians to move to the civilian zones would solve a lot of problems, including making your military actually show up for work if there's a siege going on, and making even the guards or royal guards participate as well.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:55:03 am »

Isn't this the Burrows idea that Toady's working on, basically?
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:17:58 am »

I think so.  The inside outside designation can be changed to refer to burrows instead.  Now, just need to figure out a way to fix the entrance dance...

I think a fast way would be when Dwarf stay inside activates, the map will essential perform a mass forbid on everything item lying on the surface (maybe a separate forbid tag?)  This should alleviate entrance dance somewhat (fisherdwarf might still go out to fish, etc)

Maybe a job manager like interface, but allows you to designate what job type to forbid?  Maybe forbid those job type when, say, a "Lock Down" command is given.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:23:31 am by sweitx »
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:19:31 pm »

"Me:Go to your bed room young dwarf!"
"Dwarf:I carved out almost every hall in this fort."
"Me:Oh,right... well go cower in your bed room,there is a seige outside."
"Dwarf:I guess that makes sense.Okee dokee."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

No. The Burrows idea is splitting your fort into smaller sections, like mini-forts, where dwarves assigned to these burrows will stay within their burrow most of the time.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:56:27 pm »

The world's tiniest burrow.

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:28:07 pm »

The burrows idea does seem related, though.  It's essentially the same thing -- the only major difference is that in Burrows you get to choose the groups of dwarves that get assigned to each "zone", instead of having to choose between "military" and "civilian".

I -really- like the idea of zoning options that allow us to order our dwarves around, though.  Soldiers soldiering, Civilians not running around like headless chickens...  What could be better?

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:35 pm »

I want this. In previous forts I have somewhat done this by digging out and reflooring the ceilings above my meeting areas, which I always put at the entrance. Telling the civilians to stay inside makes them flee to the bedrooms or workshops, which usually have doors protecting them.

(Opening and reflooring the meeting areas also really cuts down on cave adaptation.)