Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: High elevation variance is AWESOME.  (Read 5926 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: High elevation variance is AWESOME.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 10:46:01 am »

Also, there's a flag in the advanced parameters called "Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs".  Unless I'm mistaken, I thiiiink this might work?  Lemme test.

'Cliff faces' meaning I don't want to have to designate 30 level of slopes for removals because the world genned like that.

Also, turning erosion cycles off and setting the 'extreme cliffs' off still gives me worlds with the multiple levels of ramps.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 10:51:50 am »

Yeeeah... After some testing it seems that I was wrong.  and that cliffs don't exist. :P

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 10:57:32 am »

Heh whoops, guess I should have read here before posting my thread which basically asks exactly the same question re: getting high cliffs without hundreds of z-level ramps.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 12:06:22 pm »

On extremely high cliffs(30+) the ramps don't line up at all either, resulting in a pathing nightmare and still no access. I vote for a [SMOOTH_CLIFFS: YES/NO] in the init.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:48 pm »

I'd like to see that in 3dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:41 am »

On extremely high cliffs(30+) the ramps don't line up at all either, resulting in a pathing nightmare and still no access. I vote for a [SMOOTH_CLIFFS: YES/NO] in the init.
Actually, I'd like "smooth low cliffs," "smooth high cliffs," "smooth all cliffs," "smooth no cliffs."

I'd LIKE to have my massively high cliffs, butes, platues and such, but the low cliffs need to be smoothed out to make hills.  I DO NOT mind impassible mountains (in fact I'd expect and want them), but an adventurer needs to be able to climb hills.  Extreme cliffs have turned into small mounts of dirt, easily scalable by all.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:28:21 am »

I think I read somewhere that Toady is waiting for the adventurer skills(climbing) until cliffs come back.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:46:17 am »

I've definitely seen some cliffs around.  There's been times where my adventurer has had to walk many screens to find a ramp up to the next level, since it's all too sheer to climb.  In fact, the map I posted at the beginning of this thread has lots of cliffs, doesn't it?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:27 pm »

I've definitely seen some cliffs around.  There's been times where my adventurer has had to walk many screens to find a ramp up to the next level, since it's all too sheer to climb.  In fact, the map I posted at the beginning of this thread has lots of cliffs, doesn't it?

Seeing as the cliffs around rivers don't count, and I never found the waterfall...
And no, besides the river canyons I can't find any cliffs.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 06:00:44 pm »

They key word (to the above post I'm replying to) is 'when you get a large fortress going'. Ok, so I count spaces as letters. Sue me.

Anyways...

I rarely get to a large fortress. Immigration just gets me angry; all these useless dwarves whom don't fit into the routine I have going. They are almost always from industries I don't have going, cheese makers, wood burners, lye makers, pump operators, glassmakers, etc. I try and turn them into military dwarves sometimes, but half the time that doesn't work out, and the other half....well, I had 6 dwarves training as wrestlers for two years once before the goblins came, and they were barely proficient as /wrestlers/ - let alone having moved on to a more useful pasttime.

So, I usually let two or three waves of immigration come in (which gets me to about the mayor/crime level) then turn it off, only to die when the first wave of goblins comes and slaughters me. The only time I have luck is when I breed absurd amounts of war dogs and combine them with some traps and a ranger or two. (And everyone dies regardless; my stone-fall traps seem to go off almost never. I've seen goblins walk through 6, 7 tiles of them without being hit once.)

Add that to a fairly highend dual-core PC, with one processor dedicated to DF, and I just havn't noticed any FPS problems.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:02:50 pm by lastofthelight »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:25 pm »

They key word (to the above post I'm replying to) is 'when you get a large fortress going'. Ok, so I count spaces as letters. Sue me.

Did....did you reply to the wrong thread?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:10 pm »

I was replying to the above post by Wirewraith:

Quote from: lastofthelight on July 29, 2008, 08:36:16 am

I'll never have FPS problems,

Wait, why? I started on a similar map (in fact, more z-layers I believe) and got 60 fps with just the first seven Dwarves. My computer is also not exactly bad (by all means, it's close to top range).

The problem with these huge cliff areas is that they just slow right the fuck down the second you get a decent sized fort going on.

It just took me until now to see his post and reply.

On an unrelated matter more akin to the original thread: in the parameter list given, I don't see X or Y elevation variance listed as parameters. Nor, using the parameters and seeds given, can I reproduce the world shown. Anyone have better luck?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:28:17 pm by lastofthelight »

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:22 pm »

Anyways...

I rarely get to a large fortress. Immigration just gets me angry; all these useless dwarves whom don't fit into the routine I have going. They are almost always from industries I don't have going, cheese makers, wood burners, lye makers, pump operators, glassmakers, etc. I try and turn them into military dwarves sometimes, but half the time that doesn't work out, and the other half....well, I had 6 dwarves training as wrestlers for two years once before the goblins came, and they were barely proficient as /wrestlers/ - let alone having moved on to a more useful pasttime.

So, I usually let two or three waves of immigration come in (which gets me to about the mayor/crime level) then turn it off, only to die when the first wave of goblins comes and slaughters me. The only time I have luck is when I breed absurd amounts of war dogs and combine them with some traps and a ranger or two. (And everyone dies regardless; my stone-fall traps seem to go off almost never. I've seen goblins walk through 6, 7 tiles of them without being hit once.)

Add that to a fairly highend dual-core PC, with one processor dedicated to DF, and I just havn't noticed any FPS problems.

Well fair enough then, that makes a lot of sense.
On a related note, how does one dedicate a processor core to DF? This would be very useful.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 06:38:49 pm »

What you do is control-alt-delete then go into your process list and right click until you see 'set affinity'. Basically; go to everything windows will allow you you set affinity on (which is alot) and remove core 1 (there should be a core 0 and a core 1) from all the lists. Then, when DF starts up, remove core 0 from its affinity list, and increase its priority to realtime.

There you go; dedicated DF processor.

Also, if you want other ways of increasing framerate:

Turn off weather (doesn't do /that/ much, and eats up framerate)
Or, if your not in a glacial/magma/temperate map (yes, a rarity) - turn off Temperature. Toady has even suggested this himself; as temperature is only halfway done and he hasn't programmed dwarves to know how to react to it yet. (Which is how you see villages of humans freezing in adventure mode)

I rarely do the above two, unless I'm playing in an ABSURDLY huge fortress that just takes up a godawful number of tiles on the embark screen; but you /can/ see the difference.
Pages: 1 [2]