Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: High elevation variance is AWESOME.  (Read 5929 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
High elevation variance is AWESOME.
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:17 pm »

I was playing with the worldgen a bit and came up with a decent world, thought I'd give myself a challenge in it and do an above-ground fort in the woods, Robin Hood style.  I even gave my guys archery skill and planned on setting up a trade depot away from the main camp and stealing from all the traders who came through.

I settled in a forest by the junction of a winding river.  I made a huge area to play in, since I figured I'd be entirely above-ground and there wouldn't be nearly as much stuff to hog my CPU as there normally is.  There was an aquifer, but I figured I'd just collapse some soil into it and dig through if I needed stone.

Preparations painstakingly made, I embarked to discover this:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3158-charmglen

Given the type of area, I never expected extreme cliffs - forgot that I set the elevation X- and Y-variance to 1600!  The cliffs are so steep I can't even believe it.  Theres a 13-story waterfall in one spot.  My guys embarked a full 28 levels above the bottom of the map (on an isolated little island in the sky, no less).  I spent a half hour or so looking over the map and never even got around to trying to play it.  Given the circumstances, I think the map will run too slowly anyway.

If anyone's interested, I can provide a seed and mapgen specs and location and whatnot.  This is just so many kinds of awesome I don't even know how to handle it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: High elevation variance is AWESOME.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »

Woooow.

That looks like a great place to take a vacation.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:56:55 am »

That looks really nice, with the river delta and everything. Interesting scenario, too, beating the elves at their own game. I might have to do my own Robin Hood 'fort' sometime.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:56 am »

I would definitely like the seed for this.  I'm getting all sorts of crazy ideas for constructions, my head is spinning.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:23 am »

What I wouldn't give for proper frigging cliff faces, not these dumb multi-level walkable slopes. Sure, that looks like just the thing a wagon can drive up and down, up 15 z-levels in the span of 5 squares.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:02:06 am »

If you reduce the number of erosion cycles in world gen you can get your cliff faces back like in the previous version Teldin.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:16 am »

I /definately/ want the seed/mapgen specs for that. I'll never have FPS problems, and I've never seen a waterfall that I havn't made myself; that'd be a great cliff-fort...well, after I spend hours deramping the entire thing.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:24 am »

What I wouldn't give for proper frigging cliff faces, not these dumb multi-level walkable slopes. Sure, that looks like just the thing a wagon can drive up and down, up 15 z-levels in the span of 5 squares.

Use (d)esignate-z to remove upward slopes?  I tend to remove all the slopes around my fortress entrance (even the entire z level of my fortress entrance) to isolate it as much as possible.  You can't remove slopes at the very edge of the map, is the only problem.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:17 am »

I'll never have FPS problems,

Wait, why? I started on a similar map (in fact, more z-layers I believe) and got 60 fps with just the first seven Dwarves. My computer is also not exactly bad (by all means, it's close to top range).

The problem with these huge cliff areas is that they just slow right the fuck down the second you get a decent sized fort going on.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:43:09 am »

I had a similar experience when fiddling with variance at the same time i was fiddling with nano fortress.
Sure, i embarked on a mountain top before, to check out the extreme heights, but nothing came close to this.
Namely, i embarked (1x2) with 1 tile grassland and the other on a mountain tile (not mountain top tile mind you), what i got was a 100 z level high mountain (i think it was even exactly 100 z levels) and that with 15 z levels of sky above it and 15 of ground beneath it resulted in a 1x2 map wich was 130 tiles high. Now i'm on a quest of trying to recreate similar landscapes and embark on one wich has water and magma, 100 story high obsidian tower, here i come!

edit: wth did i spell mointain over and over again? geez.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:46:22 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:20 am »

I settled on a mountain side that was exactly like that about 15 levels high, it was rediculous, almost an impassable wall was how high it was.

Only bad thing was it was really hard and annoying for combat to happen there, you would have to consantly change Z levels to figure out what the hell is going on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:58 am »

Alrighty, here's the worldgen parameters:

Created in DF v0.28.181.39e.

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:CRAGS]
[SEED:139633080]
[HISTORY_SEED:96927956]
[NAME_SEED:65425845]
[DIM:65:65]
[END_YEAR:5000]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:100:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
[RAINFALL:0:100:1600:1600]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:101:101]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:1600:1600]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:6:63:127]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:3]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:66:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:66:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:264:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:528:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:528:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:300:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:300:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:75]
[RIVER_MINS:35:25]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:30]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:528:1056:528]
[RAIN_RANGES:528:1056:528]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:528:1056:528]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:528:1056:528]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:528:1056:528]

And the location is here:

And this is what I should have looked at before embarking:

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:54 am »

I wish there was a way to turn off those slope cliffs.

I want my sheer face cliffs back, not these gently rolling cliffs.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 10:42:06 am »

I wish there was a way to turn off those slope cliffs.

I want my sheer face cliffs back, not these gently rolling cliffs.

Use (d)esignate-z to remove upward slopes?  I tend to remove all the slopes around my fortress entrance (even the entire z level of my fortress entrance) to isolate it as much as possible.  You can't remove slopes at the very edge of the map, is the only problem.

Also, there's a flag in the advanced parameters called "Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs".  Unless I'm mistaken, I thiiiink this might work?  Lemme test.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:44:48 am »

I wish only small cliffs would erode and keep the extreme cliffs as they should be.
Pages: [1] 2