Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant toggle  (Read 474 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Migrant toggle
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:03 pm »

I know we can set population to stop migrants from coming in, but it seems like some of us have problems with migrants ignoring our large neon "No Vacancy" signs...

So all I'm proposing is another yes/no toggle to go along with temperature, weather, and all their friends in the init file! [MIGRANTS:NO] would simply keep them from coming!

Also in the ol' idea factory is [CARAVANS:NO] for those of us crazy enough to try running a fort without any help from the outside world!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant toggle
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:08 pm »

Sorry to double post, but thought of a bit more. :3

[MIGRANTS:NO] should prevent new migrants from coming to your fortress, but would not prevent the Noble migrants like Dungeon Master and King and whatnot... It should not, however, impact the popcap and shouldn't prevent children from growing up or being born or whatnot.

[NOBLES:NO] should prevent Noble migrants from arriving, either allowing current Dwarves to be assigned as the Noble migrants or just making it so they don't ever come into play.

[CARAVANS:NO] should prevent any and all caravans from arriving. Perhaps allowing us all to pretend as if we're attempting to start our own Dwarven Civilization.

It always struck me as weird that we didn't have toggles like this in the first place... I mean, the popcap setting is always good... but for a bunch of people, it seems like it doesn't work properly. Simply being able to turn migrants on or off would easily fix this problem and allow for all sorts of interesting DF games... Ones that don't require elaborate deathtraps for migrants and caravans. ;P
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!