Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stone Bins  (Read 2202 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Bins
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:21:24 pm »

I'd really like to be able to make stone bins as wood is useful for so many more things...stone beds too.  Please? I'm giving you money next week!  (Really though!) 

EDIT- Ooo, I'd also like to be able to send my squad/s to a point on the map without having to make it a patrol area.  With a nice hotkey maybe.

EDIT2x- I'd also like to be able to click on a far away object and assign some peasant to go get it...I currently have goblin bones and a large dagger near the edge of the map..though they DID go pick up all of his clothes....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:00:27 pm by Snall »

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Bins
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:47 pm »

Making a bin out of stone is logical. A bed, not so much. Wood is presumably used because you can individually fashion the components and then fasten them together to form an item. Hence why wood is so versatile. Rock, however, is more brittle and hard. In crafting it a mis-strike could crack the whole piece. :3 Three legged beds... Urgh. Also: lumpy. I doubt dwarven spines would be very happy.

A bin is logical, however, but it would likely take a long while... Hollowing out the interior of a stone is hard work and, presuming dwarves use hammers and chisels, rather time consuming.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:18:28 pm »

Making a bin out of stone is logical. A bed, not so much. Wood is presumably used because you can individually fashion the components and then fasten them together to form an item. Hence why wood is so versatile. Rock, however, is more brittle and hard. In crafting it a mis-strike could crack the whole piece. :3 Three legged beds... Urgh. Also: lumpy. I doubt dwarven spines would be very happy.

Is it any easier to make a stone chest?  A stone coffin?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:21:13 pm »

Likely not. Which is why I said a bin is logical. :)
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:56 pm »

They're dwarves...they work with stone...I could settle for just the bin though..

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:10:48 am »

Just imagine how heavy a bin made of solid stone would be!  That coffin in your picture probably weighs several tons, hence stone bins would be extremely difficult to move.  It would take half a dozen dwarves, and some logs/ ropes /pulleys to even budge the thing.  That's not something *I* would want to try hauling to the depot every few months!  It would be FAR easier to haul the items one at a time.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:03:34 am »

A furniture removalist wouldn't go near a stone bin.

As for your edits,
1. To send your squad to a tile, press (x), (+/-) to select which squad, and then (s)to station them on the tile your cursor is on.

2. All you need for that dagger to get picked up is an idle dwarf and a weapon stockpile, just make sure the items aren't forbidden using (k). With bones you'll need a refuse stockpile.

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:06:24 am »

My dwarves can move lead bins(filled with lead) just fine, slowly but they do it.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:23 am »

Yes, I would be inclined to believe that if a dwarf is capable of hauling a poisonous lead bin filled with more poisonous lead, he or she is more than capable of hauling a nonpoisonous stone bin filled with nonpoisonous stone. Weight wise, it really depends on the stone you make the bin out of and the thickness of the walls and whatnot.

To be honest I've always wondered why we can make stone coffins and stone chests, but not stone bins. Presumably a stone chest is really just a stone bin with a lid on it. Can't Urist McRockyMuscle just rip the damn lid off and call it a bin? :P

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:01 am »

Just imagine how heavy a bin made of solid stone would be!  That coffin in your picture probably weighs several tons, hence stone bins would be extremely difficult to move.  It would take half a dozen dwarves, and some logs/ ropes /pulleys to even budge the thing.  That's not something *I* would want to try hauling to the depot every few months!  It would be FAR easier to haul the items one at a time.

Have you ever seen a dwarf haul a solid platinum statue up three floors and halfway across a fort to your king's soon-to-be-room? It's absolutely hilarious. However, the dwarves do it without question, and I'd assume that they wouldn't blink an eye at hauling a stone bin to wherever you wanted it to be.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:20 am »

Though I would imagine that Dwarfs could MAKE a stone bed I don't see why they would find sleeping on it any more comfotable then a smooth stone floor.  For that matter beds are currently just wooden benches, at some point adding a cloth component 'linens' or something should be added to the recipe.  I'd also like to have something non-wooden that I can store alcohol in, like a clay or glass amphora as my current tree-less game is running up against a barrel limitation wall.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:09:18 am »

I'd also like to have something non-wooden that I can store alcohol in, like a clay or glass amphora as my current tree-less game is running up against a barrel limitation wall.

... like a metal barrel? Go to the forge, it's under either furniture or other objects from memory. I find it's a great way to use up the 5k tonnes of copper I always seem to end up with.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:11:32 am »

Unlike chests, coffins, and cabinets, bins are often moved when full, thus increasing the probability of them being dropped. Metal dents and wood bounces back, but a stone bin full of lead would shatter into two or more pieces if a dwarf slipped. Stone is heavy, and although many metals are heavier, most dense metals in-game are also quite soft. The notable exception is platinum, but it is not as brittle.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:45 pm »

I'd really like to be able to make stone bins as wood is useful for so many more things...stone beds too.  Please? I'm giving you money next week!  (Really though!) 

really wood isnt useful for much at all, beds barrels and bins are all i make with it, and then after too long need for these things dries up and my carpenters are out of a job.

furthermore woodcrafters are inferior when it comes to making trade goods because of those damned elves.

but back on topic, yes whilst a coffin or a coffer made of stone is essentially a big stone bin, those sort of things are put in place once and then not really moved. a bin differs from these things in that it is also primarily used for hauling lots of things at once, and your haulers wont thank you for making bins out of solid granite.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 01:43:40 pm »

I don't think my haulers will enjoy the solid lead bins I occasionally make either, but either they comply or I flood the fortress with magma. :)

The point is that we have much heavier (and poisonous) materials like lead to make bins out of. Stone is LIGHT in comparison to lead. If a dwarf has no problem with his heavy metal poisoning skill and decent strength a lead bin is pretty damn funny. >.> If only lead was a useful way to kill dwarves. :P

Pages: [1] 2