Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick bridge question:  (Read 648 times)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick bridge question:
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:16:36 pm »

Almost (finally) finished building the moat around my entrance, and I've been waiting to channel out the area underneath my outter drawbridge until the last minute (I have two murky pools to drain after channeling out under the draw bridge and then it's time to open the floodgate connected to the brook), but apparently you cannot channel out from underneath a bridge, even if it's been raised. The bridge is 5x3. Width of three to allow caravans to cross, length of five so that it has one end always on solid ground (Moat is three wide).

I take it I'm just going to have to deconstruct (Again, I initially placed a retracting bridge ;p) the bridge and channel out before placing?

Also, is there any easier/less micromanaging heavy way of digging a channel two z-levels deep? The first level is easy (Provided you don't have two dwarves working), but once you got to the second level defining the entire area at once worked just as well as defining narrow strips going down the long length of the moat...both of which were god awful (Constantly falling down to the lower level, which meant long runs back to their favored mining position, sometimes cutting off their stairwell, etc.). I eventually settled down to defining small 2x2 squares (I had already dug out 1/3rd of the second level using the strip) and just manually adding another two tiles once he finished half the square. It worked, but it was a pain in the ass to constantly define channels to be dug.

I really need to let up on the micromanaging too...Easily put twelve or more hours into this fort and I'm not even done with the first year, heh...

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Quick bridge question:
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:33 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21169.0
Saved me hours of work on micromanaging so far =)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »

:D

Although that leaves your miners on the bottom level. So with a moat, you'd still need a ramp out that'll later be blocked off.

Now I feel like doing some strip mining just to try that out, heh...

Any info on the bridge issue? Or is it time to deconstruct it?

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »

Retract / Raise Bridge
use ramps from lower level.
Remove ramps

If its a two Z-level deep moat, build a ramp beside it on the bottem, the ramps on top level, then ramps top.

As far as I can remember, this should work without removing the bridge.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »

Excellent, thanks man.

Now for an odd question...

Anyone ever build two drawbridges right next to each other that open towards each other? Essentially creating the mouth to some drawbridge beast? Mmm...tasty noble...hehe...

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:39:29 am »

Constructed ramps can be removed like any other construction via the designation menu using the Remove Construction selection (d -> n, using the ingame interface). Constructed ramps will leave one stone of the sort the ramp was constructed from.

Not sure why...but this isn't working...?

Tried all of the up ramps I've created (Had to dig a few paths out from my moat due to miners falling in ;p) and this worked on none of'em (Unless there is no confirmation that the ramps are flagged for removal...but that goes against everything I've seen so far). Tried the other removal commands and got nothing there as well...

Ah ha!

Figured it out...Apparently when you designate slopes for removal, they turn a brownish color. A color that happens to exactly match the dirt I had built the original ramps on...That's something that needs to be changed...

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:13:44 am »

Apart from a ramp leading back out to the besieger's side of my dry moats, I sometimes also incorporate a steel floor hatch leading back to my main holds via a narrow access tunnel.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.