Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quite a few questions  (Read 614 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
quite a few questions
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »

for some reason this forum wasnt accepting new members for a while so ive built up a few questions.

1. my mayor went into a fey mood and then went insane. now i cant replace him. do i have to wait until he dies?

2. whats an average life span of a fortress? im on my 5th year and still no goblin seiges yet.

3. i have over 120 people, did plenty of each job for the economy requirments, and have enough goods to trade a value of tens of thousands in goods. what is there left to do?

also i have some serious lag. turned off weather and temperature and still only range from ?-15 FPS. even when i pause its only around 50 FPS. could it be due to the ridiculous amount of stone ive dumped and stored?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: quite a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:09 pm »

1. Yes

2. Depends on the player and many, many other factors.

3. :shrug: You could try a more challenging area - haunted or sinister - and actually have to defend your fortress from wildlife as well as the odd seige.

4. http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Maximizing_framerate
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:08 pm »

Hi.

1. If you lock him in a room he'll die pretty quick. (Q), (L) forbid door.

2. The lifespans how long you want it/survive, check your (C)iv screen to see if there are goblins near, though I don't know if that makes a difference. Should be a siege soon otherwise might wanna try a new fort.

3. Could mine out the place and see what else is around.

As for the lag, did you try turning down G_FPS to about 10 in the init file? It makes a big difference in game speed for minimal loss in animation speed.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:38 pm »

surprised by the amount of people on the forums for such an unadvertised game...i found this completly by mistake lol. now its one of my favorite games.

my mayor was luckily replaced so no problem there

lets change my second question. whats the longest time youve kept a fortress?

thx for the lag help

still would like some reference to what i need for economy. look it up on the wiki but it didnt help. ive even got platinum and at least 1 of each building (well, the useful ones anyway)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:29:33 pm by Micro102 »

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »

To quote Willy Wonka, "So much time and so Little to do.  Wait.  Reverse that."

As a sandbox-style game, the idea is to do whatever you want.  The limit is your imagination (so you unimaginative lot are in trouble).

If you need ideas, look to the real world.  Try building a 'replica' of the Louvre to hold your artifacts and masterwork.  Try building a labyrinth and letting loose monsters.  Try building elaborate and pointless structures (like a skyway connecting military outposts on various areas of the map, or a death-drop tower, or a giant necropolis).  Replicate real world wonders, like Stone henge or a giant Moai head (carved out of a mountain).  Try building a castle, complete with spike trap 'portucullis' (kinda reversed, but whatevs), moat, drawbridge, and siege weaponry.  Don't forget the parapets and towers.  And treasure vault.  And 'Tapestries'.  And underground aqueducts/sewer system (non functional).

Try anything you want...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

i thought about doing that but id need a way to fill areas up with dirt again (walls just dont seem right to me) just incase i mess up.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:45:09 am »

You need a tax collector, which either comes with a certain amount of dwarves (100+?) or a certain amount of wealth, I don't know. But in any case the more wealth you have the more immigrants come I think so start detailing and churning out rock trinkets.

EDIT: detailing = smoothing/engraving

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

For economy you need the tax collector which comes with the count/baron/duke noble, it says what you need to make the count appear in the wiki.