Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning the Traders?  (Read 937 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Drowning the Traders?
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

I have built and elf drowning system in my fort, basically the elves come in, I pull a level and floogates lock them in and other floodgates open to flood the room with water.

The room gets up to about 6/7 filled but they just dont drown, I literally had to drain it and let them go for other merchants to come in.

What gives here?

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning the Traders?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:07:11 pm »

Perhaps elves now have an improved "fording depth" by their size advantage over dwarves. I know that Unicorns were, if not still are, fully amphibious fighing machines...
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:43 pm »

Could be, or it could be that while you were filling it, they learned to swim. =P Lame, I know, but things happen. If it's not too late for a retrofit, you could try filling it to two z-levels, and set up a large above-ground reservior so the pressure fills the depot instantly.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:48:01 pm »

I have built and elf drowning system in my fort, basically the elves come in, I pull a level and floogates lock them in and other floodgates open to flood the room with water.

The room gets up to about 6/7 filled but they just dont drown, I literally had to drain it and let them go for other merchants to come in.

What gives here?
Maybe you need 7/7 water?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:52:54 pm »

Could be, or it could be that while you were filling it, they learned to swim. =P Lame, I know, but things happen. If it's not too late for a retrofit, you could try filling it to two z-levels, and set up a large above-ground reservior so the pressure fills the depot instantly.

I second this.  I actually just built an arrangement like this for the first time today and was astounded by how fast it filled the chamber.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

What gives here?
Maybe you need 7/7 water?

And a ceiling. Either they're swimming or they're just too darn tall and have their heads above water.

Neither is possible when the water is filled right up against the solid slab of blocks above them. One full z level of 7/7 water, and the z level above completely floored over. That should drown anything that can be drowned, and precludes swimming because there's no place to swim to nor a place to come up for air.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:03:19 am »

It's well worth adding a fortification or a wall grate next to the square with the floodgate that releases the water into the chamber. If you do not do this, you often end up with bones littering the passageway that is always filled with water and is impossible to clean (I once had an ox swim about thirty tiles in 7/7 water trying to escape back to the brook I sourced the drowning chamber from.)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:49 pm »

I had the same problem.  I solved it by filling the depot area to 7/7 water, and they started drowning.  Unfortunately, it wasn't completely filled with 7/7 water, and so they were able to learn to swim as random tiles of 7/7 passed over them.  They would start to drown, and then they would stop when the water level went back down to 6/7.

Eventually, they stopped drowning when the 7/7 tiles passed over them (as they learned to swim), and I had to come up with a new plan (collapse!)
All generalizations are false....including this one.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:12:26 pm »

you could also llure them into a huge tower then get youre trader behind the door on the other side and lock both doors,them pull the lever and they will freefall only to smack on the ground and then maybe get a totem made out of theire skulls lol.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:17:22 pm »

Try making them swim in lava.

Or just be simple and place your trade depot over a giant pit and deconstruct it's only supports when the traders are there. You'd have to rebuild it every time, though...

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 04:21:03 pm »

Try making them swim in lava.

Or just be simple and place your trade depot over a giant pit and deconstruct it's only supports when the traders are there. You'd have to rebuild it every time, though...

If you want to save time on mining, just drop them into a 7/7 pond. Falling into water causes instant drowning, so unless they learned to swim ahead of time, they'll die.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:56:04 pm »

Easiest way is to have a two lever system. One lever closes the door to the deathtrap after the caravan has set up shop at the depot. The second lever controls the drain. Keep a fortification between the drain and the deathtrap so you won't flush away stuff, which can be difficult or impossible to retrieve.

Once the trap is sealed, flood it with water. This can be done with a simple manual pump. With no way for the water to drain, the trap will stay at 7/7 water until you pull the flushing lever, thus ensuring drowning. Once everything is dead, pull the flusher and drain out all the water.

The same sort of setup also works for pesky nobles, and it doesn't even harm the furniture.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »

Collapse is a bit too ellaborate. You have to set up your Falling down floor every time..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »

Quote from: The Wiki
Water has 7 depth levels per tile, with 1 being perhaps ankle-deep, and 7 filling the tile completely. Dwarves and other humanoids can walk through water up to depth 4. At 4 they can choose to walk or swim, any deeper and they must swim to pass through the tile. Oddly enough, even elves have to swim through water that would only just be head-high to a dwarf. This might be fixed in a later version.
As you can see, water of a depth above 4 can drown anything. Maybe the elves just know how to swim.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 09:18:46 pm »

Collapse is a bit too ellaborate. You have to set up your Falling down floor every time..

Getting to yell "THIS. IS. SPARTA!" every time you pull the lever makes up for it, imo.

If you have good timing/good mechanisms, you can just use a retractable bridge to accomplish the same ends.