Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best equipment for soldiers ?  (Read 512 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
best equipment for soldiers ?
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:57:09 pm »

.. is adamantine plate :) yeah, i know :)

but how does stacking stuff work ?

i read about giving dwarves first leather caps, then chain and then plate and it will all stack somehow ..

so does anybody know what a dwarf can wear ?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: best equipment for soldiers ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:01:01 pm »

You can get more equipment onto a dorf by first having them don all leather gear. Then all upgrade them to chain. Then finally to plate, but thats a real pain.

Defensive abilities are vastly more important than armor. Give them an awesome shield, but you can just have them go directly to plate without having to worry about using the glitch to stack extra armor on. It doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Start recruits out with plate (or the heaviest armor you can produce, they'll grab whatever is available then upgrade later if need be) and a shield, then have them spar unarmed. It'll work on wrestling, shield user, and armor user. Wrestling effects their dodge chance and shield user effects their block chance. Armor user decreases the encumbrance of armor. Once they're legendary in a few of those skills, they're nigh invincible. Simply give them a weapon and march them outside, and watch all the exploding goblin corpses.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:08 pm »

According to the wiki, only chain armor stacks. Chain and leather works, and plate and chain works, but not leather and plate. So you can skip leather armor, unless you don't have enough metal for all the gloves, boots, and caps.

You can layer a helm over a cap, plate armor over chain, and greaves over chain leggings.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:10 pm »

I've seen a dorf wearing both plate and leather armor at the same time, but I just let the battlefield sort things out.