Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mechanisms without stone  (Read 2094 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
mechanisms without stone
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:18 am »

i'm playing in a map with an aquafier and i need mechanisms. i thought i could make them from stone blocks, which i bought from merchants. but it didn't work. any ideas how to get to the precious stone?
or how to just get mechanisms directly
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mechanisms without stone
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:32 am »

I think the dwarf caravan will trade you raw stone if you ask for it. I certainly remember seeing platinum nuggets and that's definitely raw.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:27:04 am »

i'll take another look next time the caravan arrives.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

You can also make mechanisms out of ore if you set ore to be usable through the stocks menu. By default ore is reserved only for smelting.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:45:37 pm »

You could always make exploratory holes in the aquifer level and with a bit of luck find a patch of orthoclase or similar. Then dig into that and extract your precious, precious stone.

Or, you know, just keep digging down as that breaches 1-level aquifers.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:35:28 pm »

Stupid suggestion: train all your dwarves in mechanics and hope for a mood. =P

That could work, as moody dwarves ignore material requirements (hence wood, metal, bone, etc. mechanisms) but you'd have to get your pop up enough to enable moods and there's no guarantee the moody dwarves wouldn't all just want stone. Probably best to trade for it. Prepared meals have a remarkably high value if you're looking for non-stone based trade goods.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:56:50 pm »

If you have a brook you can mine its top layer for stone
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:09:14 pm »

Stupid suggestion: train all your dwarves in mechanics and hope for a mood. =P

Without stone, how? 8)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:07 pm »

You can also make mechanisms out of ore if you set ore to be usable through the stocks menu. By default ore is reserved only for smelting.

For the op: Mechanisms are made from rocks... they aren't made from stone Blocks (which are themselves also made from rocks), so therein lies your problem.

Hyndis: It's funny that I hadn't considered this before, but it makes a good work around for "Bauxite is the only magma proof stone"... assuming that mechanisms made from iron and nickel (I think) ores are also magma proof (should be though...).

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:04 pm »

Hyndis: It's funny that I hadn't considered this before, but it makes a good work around for "Bauxite is the only magma proof stone"... assuming that mechanisms made from iron and nickel (I think) ores are also magma proof (should be though...).

Nope. In my last fort I dug a magma channel through a patch of Magnetite. The raw ore chunks melted like everything else.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:36:31 pm »

Nope. In my last fort I dug a magma channel through a patch of Magnetite. The raw ore chunks melted like everything else.

Well, yes... since the ore can be smelted and all I guess... but it may be different in a finished product like a mechanism (since iron flood gates and iron bars, etc. are magma proof)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:56 pm »

i thought aquifires were just large amount water collected naturally....how do they keep you form mining stone?

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:56:30 pm »

Aquifers cover an entire zone, and spew infinite water, as well as absorb infinite water. Essentially a layer of never-ending watery doom.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:36:59 pm »

so? it cant block all the levels. there must be stone to mine.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 11:12:24 pm »

Just curious but Bauxite is only found out of magma areas so you would have to import it right?
Pages: [1] 2