Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noobish mechanical question  (Read 932 times)

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noobish mechanical question
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:46:50 am »

Okay, so, I had a waterwheel hooked up like this:

W
W = = *
W

W - Waterwheel
= - axle
* - gear assembly.

The waterwheel was hanging, everything was going fine, it was linked up to pumps and everything was running right and pumping.  Then, I pulled the lever attached to the gear assembly.  Everything stopped, which was also fine.  But then the waterwheel said "Inactive" and when I pulled the lever to re-engage the gear assembly . . . nuthin'.  Still inactive, wouldn't start up.  But it hadn't fallen down or anything.  What'd I do wrong?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Noobish mechanical question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:11 am »

sometimes a waterwheel can't work because it's flood on the level it's built on. that was the reason my wheel stopped  ;D

*PS* tell me if it worked :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:27:28 am by Scruga »
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:35:54 am »

Does the water have to be moving?

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:43:16 am »

Well, it's in a brook, and I know you have to channel down into the brook to make it work there, so just the center of the wheel is channeled out. 

I'm just weirded out that it worked fine until I turned it off, then the wheel itself went inactive.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:09 pm »

Does the water have to be moving?

I don't know much about machines, but the water definitely has to be running. Otherwise you are just sort of dipping it in water :P

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »

In reality, if you applied enough force to the wheel, it should keep turning whether the water flows or not. I think :-\
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:38:04 pm »

i belive that turning off a gear assmebly will disassemble everything connected to it. you need to build 2 gear assembelies connected to each other and turn off the one that isnt connected to the buildings.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

In reality, if you applied enough force to the wheel, it should keep turning whether the water flows or not. I think :-\

The only reality that would happen in is perpetual motion. Which isn't a reality anyway :D
Magma is overrated.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:26 am »

i belive that turning off a gear assmebly will disassemble everything connected to it. you need to build 2 gear assembelies connected to each other and turn off the one that isnt connected to the buildings.

I think what you mean is that when you turn off a gear assembly, anything above it that it was supporting will lose that support, which can break machines or even collapse structures.

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:43 am »

Right, I knew that turning off a gear assembly would remove the support for anything above it, i.e. a windmill.  Do we know if that's what's happening here?  Would this work:

W
W * = *
W

if the lever is attached to the gear on the right?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:10 am »

W
W = * *
W

i think this would work, according that some previous things were right. (still the right gear assembly)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.