Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kobold bones  (Read 1305 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Kobold bones
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:58 am »

i'm building a aboveground town in a terrifying forest, and i just survived 1 year of undead foxex :P.

now a kobold thief arrived and my 3 markdwarves with fox bone crossbows shot him. when i watch him with "k" i can see xxxxx's corpse and 2 kobold chunks. is there a way to get the bones out of the corpse?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold bones
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:13 am »

Let them rot. They will produce bones eventually. I do not believe Kobolds are butcherable.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:39 am »

i'll see thanks mate
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:49 am »

yay i have my kobold bone bolts ;D

now i can shoot those evil creatures with the bones of their own kin 8)

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:31:25 pm »

They aren't evil, just, erm, morally impaired ;). It's the gobbos that'r EVIL.

TheBoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:34:44 pm »

Moral impairment sounds like another one of those behavioural "dieseases".

Woman: "HEY! That man just robbed me!"
Onlooker: "It's ok, he's got MI. It's not his fault"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:41:44 pm »

Bone bolts aren't useful in a live battle.
Use them for training only.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:50 pm »

Wood and bone bolts work just fine in battle. The primary thing is the crossbow skill, not the ammunition used. Legendary crossbow users with an ammo stockpile next to them can singlehandedly destroy a full siege, even if they're using cheap wood or bone bolts.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:14 pm »

Wood and bone bolts work just fine in battle. The primary thing is the crossbow skill, not the ammunition used. Legendary crossbow users with an ammo stockpile next to them can singlehandedly destroy a full siege, even if they're using cheap wood or bone bolts.

They can, but they can literally be twice as effective with metal bolts. You are expending many, many more bolts than you need to.

Back OT, one thing that might be useful is to set a refuse stockpile INSIDE, that accepts only bones. It's true you have to wait for the kobold (or whatever) corpse to rot to get bones... but bones will also disappear if you leave them outside for too long. With a second stockpile, the bones are moved inside as soon as they appear.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37:27 pm »

Bone bolts aren't useful in a live battle.
Use them for training only.

Well even shooting soggy twigs would be sufficient to kill a squishy kobold. Poor little buggers are easier to kill than a housefly.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:44:12 pm »

Bone bolts are great!  Encrust the whole stack with green glass or some other cheap decoration, and watch the power of multiplication work for you.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »

They can, but they can literally be twice as effective with metal bolts. You are expending many, many more bolts than you need to.

But bones are a plentiful, renewable resource.

For example, every goblin corpse can produce 30 bone bolts. Thats easily enough to kill another goblin even for a recruit marksman. Thus, you now have 30 new bolts to replace the ones expended, and you probably didn't even expend the initial 30 bolts to begin with. As such, by using bone bolts not only can you save metal for other things, but your ammunition supplies actually increase after a siege.

Back OT, one thing that might be useful is to set a refuse stockpile INSIDE, that accepts only bones. It's true you have to wait for the kobold (or whatever) corpse to rot to get bones... but bones will also disappear if you leave them outside for too long. With a second stockpile, the bones are moved inside as soon as they appear.

Easier to just haul the entire corpse indoors. If you wait for it to rot thats two hauling trips instead of one, as a corpse rots into bones and a skull, and you can decorate your fortress with lovely skull totems.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:39 pm »

But totems are merely a trade good?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 06:25:55 pm »

But totems are merely a trade good?

Yes, until the economy kicks then, then your more morbid dorfs will begin stockpiling them in their rooms.   :o

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 11:43:38 pm »

I have a fortress Im building right now, with a big marble pyramid and roads leading into the inner part of my city.  And along the roadway are goblin skull totems.  I forbid the cat skull totems and all that, only allow the goblin, kobold, and ogre skulls, and set up one tile stockpiles that only take totems.  Then I forbid the totems after they are set up.  Voila...after ten years Ive run up quite a line up of goblin skulls on pikes.

I swear after I put goblin skull totems on a ridge leading into my kill zone the goblins stopped next to them and admired the masterwork totems, continued a little bit, lost six guys, then ran.  I like to think they learned a valuable lesson that day.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.
Pages: [1] 2