Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: These are very tolerant elves...  (Read 2161 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
These are very tolerant elves...
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:34:43 am »

While trying to get some damned elven traders off of my map (they carpet bombed the framerate for some damn reason), I took the obvious immediate means to eliminate them: trade them some leather items.

You know what? They were pleased with the trading!!!

What in the name of all that is fruity, uppity, and elvish is up with that?

I'm going to try trading a log to them next. (edit) Hmmm, yes, the log managed to offend them, but not the leather clothing. That is... queer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:36:47 am by MuonDecay »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: These are very tolerant elves...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:43:42 am »

Maybe offer them below value leathers and things that offend them, so that they have double negative thoughts (from the item and a failed trade), just an idea.
About leathers not offending them that much, i see some "logic" in that, they aren't exactly vegetarian anyways.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:47:53 am »

I've had elves happily accept totems and other bone trinkets. :shrug: It probably reminded them of lunch.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:52:28 am »

What i find weird is that they do trade wood, i mean its like, hypocrite much? Now BURN you "offerening wood offends us, but we will offer it to you" beasts! ah aha aaahahaHAHAHAAAaaaaa.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:41:08 am »

I think well-crafted and above wooden items shouldn't offend the Elves. After all, if you actually read the text they display when they get pissy, it almost implies that they would take good quality wooden stuff.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:46:29 am »

Maybe the elves do the Warcraft thing and magically extract the wood from the trees without harming them.  I'd make my dwarves do that, but I love hearing the trees scream.
Shoes...

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:31:13 am »

If I try to trade them mugs decorated with the bones of the previous elven liaisons, will that finally make them go to war with me?  :P
Derp.

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:01:04 am »

What i find weird is that they do trade wood, i mean its like, hypocrite much? Now BURN you "offerening wood offends us, but we will offer it to you" beasts! ah aha aaahahaHAHAHAAAaaaaa.

From what I can see, the implication is that they grew their trees with the specific purpose of cutting them down and selling you wood. They have no moral objection to that.

However, they don't know the origin of your wooden objects, so they assume it's from random trees and get pissed.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:12:52 am »

They also take issue with Tower Cap goods.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:17:51 am »

They also take issue with Tower Cap goods.

Yeah, They shouldn't be offended by the tower caps considering they are just over sized mushrooms.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 05:40:13 am »

Later on in DF's development I think the elves would judge based on how you treat the trees.

Do you cut them down, but then let the saplings grow back before cutting them again?

Do you clear-cut and leave nothing alive?

I imagine the elves would be MUCH more pleased if you cut down trees but then let the saplings grow back for a while. Which is what I do. :P
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 05:42:50 am »

Tower-cap goods are people! It's PEOPLE!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:42:24 am »

These weren't dwarf leather items, perchance, where they? Because then I can't imagine the elves having anything against that.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:27 am »

Maybe the elves do the Warcraft thing and magically extract the wood from the trees without harming them.  I'd make my dwarves do that, but I love hearing the trees scream.

Could be Treesingers. Like the Ogier.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:23:29 am »

I thought I'd do the elves a favor and trade them back some of the stuff that was left behind when goblins slaughtered the last caravan of theirs.  It turns out that one of their own damn shoes managed to offend them, because it had an image of the founding of their civ in Maple. 
Next time I'm not going to be nearly so timely to save you ungrateful bastards from the goblins.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: [1] 2