Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stupid mayor and his stupid demands  (Read 1810 times)

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid mayor and his stupid demands
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:30:10 pm »

My mayor must really like his platinum because he continually demands this stuff. Usually this wouldn't be a problem but for the last 7 years its been "Make platinum items", beat to death the legendary metalsmith, and then export of platinum prohibited. He has never swayed from this cycle. not once.

Anyone seen this before? I've never had demands specific to only one thing for an extended amount of time (at least 7 years and beyond at this point).

and the wagons can't get to the trade depot so if I import it, I don't get nearly enough. Time to construct a dwarven freeway.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid mayor and his stupid demands
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:40:04 pm »

Yeah they tend to demand stuff from materials they like, I've had a countess who always wants electrum stuff.  Just make sure you have stock available or import it if you dont.  Personally though I'd kill those responsible for killing a legendary dwarf then you dont have to worry about it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:51:22 pm »

Designate the hammerer's hammer for dumping.

Then if there's an impossible mandate, draft the dorf to be punished into your military. Equip him with plate armor and a shield.  ;D

At most he'll get a broke limb. I've never seen the hammerer able to actually kill a steel plate-clad dorf with his bare hands.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:35:28 am »

Then if there's an impossible mandate, draft the dorf to be punished into your military. Equip him with plate armor and a shield.  ;D

At most he'll get a broke limb. I've never seen the hammerer able to actually kill a steel plate-clad dorf with his bare hands.

'E might gnaw the guy to death, though. Oh, wait that's been *fixed*.
DF really teaches you that "fixed" is a subjective term. Just ask your dog.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:56:52 am »

I have a proper justice system with plenty of metal cages, and I have had only ONE incident of a dwarf mysteriously losing his right arm at the elbow - which doesn't fit with a hammer wound at all. The hammerer is mostly idle.

Do you have a justice room set up? Beds next to the cages?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:56 am »

Why use metal cages? Wood and glass are just as good.

Anyway, I generally have no problems with justice, if the noble wants anything I cant give him, he gets to pull the lever hanging out in the middle of the chasm to alleviate his anger.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:49:23 am »

Why use metal cages? Wood and glass are just as good.

Anyway, I generally have no problems with justice, if the noble wants anything I cant give him, he gets to pull the lever hanging out in the middle of the chasm to alleviate his anger.

At least according to the wiki, cages must be metal to be used for justice.  Maybe there's a trick to getting around that, but I never bothered trying.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:43:56 am »

Make sure there's always enough chains or cages for your prison. The hammerer usually only starts beating people if there's not enough of those to go around.

If there are plenty of chains or cages then the worst thing that usually happens is someone spends a few minutes locked up in a prison cell, which isn't much of a problem at all.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:29 am »

I use chains.

This is my prison design...
Code: [Select]
#######
#TC.CT#
#BvDvB#
#.DuD.#
#BvDvB#
#TC.CT#
###X###
T = Table
C = Thrones
B = Bed (assigned to dwarfs chained to them, so no one will take it)
D = Drink stockpile
u = Food stockpile
V = Chains
X = door
Most of the time, my prison dwarf stays at a happy or ecstatic level a short time after being imprisoned.
Hm... good thing the dwarves probably haven't picked up that being in a prison is a relatively good life right now...

Just in case you're wondering, the drink stockpile is created by making a 3x3 stockpile, and then remove 5 points.  So I only need to designate one of them to be moved.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:48:52 am »

I don't see the point in setting up any form of justice whatsoever. Take your hammerer's hammer, stick the hammerer in a room with a farmer, some farm plots, and a well, and lock the door. Don't bother with a sheriff or city guard or whatnot.

Maybe when there is actual crime or whatnot for the brave guard to fight, they would be worth the bother. But as of now, all they do is serve as the smiting arm of your nobility. And when I have to choose between losing a legendary dwarf or losing a noble, the choice is fairly obvious.

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

I don't even have the hammerer so I don't even know who is responsible for the slaying

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 12:23:16 pm »

If you haven't a Hammerer, Justice is the sole responsibility of your Sheriff/Captain of the Guard.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 12:58:23 pm »

If you haven't a Hammerer, Justice is the sole responsibility of your Sheriff/Captain of the Guard.

And if your captain of the guard is also a legendary miner with a mining pick equipped....

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:04:13 pm »

'E might gnaw the guy to death, though. Oh, wait that's been *fixed*.

I have had only ONE incident of a dwarf mysteriously losing his right arm at the elbow - which doesn't fit with hammer wound at all.

Are we sure that bug has been fixed? It was still on the official bug list, last I checked.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »

I don't see the point in setting up any form of justice whatsoever. Take your hammerer's hammer, stick the hammerer in a room with a farmer, some farm plots, and a well, and lock the door. Don't bother with a sheriff or city guard or whatnot.
Screw the farm plots, those hammers are nice.  And steel, which is good for melting.  Just keep those replacements coming ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: [1] 2