Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allowing dwarves to use metal bolts in target practice  (Read 1062 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Allowing dwarves to use metal bolts in target practice
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »

I'm in a fortress without pets or trees (yay deserts). I'd love to be able to tell my military dwarves to use metal bolts for practice. Not the iron and steel ones, of course, but I have more than enough silver to pave my 40x20 meeting hall and I want to use it for something worthwhile.

Maybe a three-way toggle: "Marksdwarves Don't Practice With Metal Bolts" / "Marksdwarves Practice With Cheap Metal Bolts" / "Marksdwarves Practice With All Metal Bolts"?
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allowing dwarves to use metal bolts in target practice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:31:20 am »

you may as well just have a materials box like with stockpiles that allows you to select or remove all the metals and no-metals individually.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:37 am »

I agree that the real low quality metals should also be used. Silver seems kind of wasteful, but is definitely low enough quality. Copper too. Bronze+ would just be a waste.

A real simple option that cycles through wood and bone/silver/copper/bronze/iron/steel/adamantine shouldn't be to dificult.

From one desert lover to another: 3 words: Herd of Camels. Lotsa meat, lotsa fat, lotsa bones. Next time bring a pair.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:15:30 am »

You just want to be able to melt down individual bolts, don't you?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:57:31 pm »

You just want to be able to melt down individual bolts, don't you?

;D

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:37 pm »

From one desert lover to another: 3 words: Herd of Camels. Lotsa meat, lotsa fat, lotsa bones. Next time bring a pair.
Lotsa FPS death. My computer is not particularly awesome. :P
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:53 pm »

Hello? Cages?

Also,
Has been enthralled by Shades' idea recently