Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are Tower-Caps weak?  (Read 1571 times)

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Are Tower-Caps weak?
« on: July 27, 2008, 08:26:17 pm »

I've carved out a huge room (100 tiles by 100 tiles approx.) so I can start an underground forest.  I haven't built my channel or even though of how it'll work but I was hoping I wouldn't have to move all the rock to allow the trees to grow.  Can tower-caps grow underneath rocks?  :-\
 reject your reality and substitute my own

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are Tower-Caps weak?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:36:03 am »

Tower caps -only- grow when you have an underground river and have breached said river.

Otherwise, you just wasted a lot of time...

I remember last time I tried to make a farm, I had to move hundreds of rocks before I got anything to grow past a sapling.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:42:51 am »

IIRC, tower-caps require clear, muddy underground and a breached underground water feature (which need not be adjacent--or connected--to the orchard. I've never cultivated tower-caps, though, so make of that what you will.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:49:16 am »

Yep, the water routed to your underground tree (well, mushroom) farm has to come from a subterranean source such as an underground river or lake—presumably because these features carry tower-cap spores. Neither is "demuddifying" water from surface sources and bringing it underground sufficient; you can't start a tower-cap farm without underground water.

I've been in the same position, so I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but... enjoy your oversized, bog-standard underground crop farm/damp, muddy store-room :-\
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:55:07 am »

It doesn't have to come from a subterranean source; you simply have to have discovered one.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:51 am »

Oh, that's good to know. I suppose the spores are airborne.
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:28:07 am »

It's just a "trigger". Like an arrival of the king when the adamantine is discovered.
You need the message (something like "you've found an underground river/pool") for this.
So yeah, they're "airborne".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:50:55 am »

I gave up on a tower cap farm, so I carved a plateau out on the hill my fortress is under, and removed all outside access to it, its large enough that I can grow all the outside crops and trees on it.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:47:48 am »

Actually, I've discovered it can actually be quite annoying... after I discovered an underground river, tower cap saplings would occasionally grow on my sand floors in places I didn't want them to.  Like in offices and in the barracks.  I've built floors overtop them, and hopefully that'll solve that problem.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:14:55 am »

tower cap saplings would occasionally grow on my sand floors... like in offices
Sorry, but

wat.

You should know already that the only things sand/soil/loam layers are good for are farming and massive stockpiles (no rocks to haul). Why would you build an office in sand/soil/loam and not rock (or metal, or glass, or soap, or whatever)-tile over it?

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:06 am »

Sorry, but

wat.

You should know already that the only things sand/soil/loam layers are good for are farming and massive stockpiles (no rocks to haul). Why would you build an office in sand/soil/loam and not rock (or metal, or glass, or soap, or whatever)-tile over it?
I do that to get rid of excess stone sometimes. Build rooms within soil layers completely surrounded with walls, ceilings, floors, etc. Normally i just make them stockpiles or dining rooms and such, sometimes even bedrooms for soldiers so they can have their own rooms but not travel to the safety of my deep and distant housing/quarters sections.

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:03:07 am »

sweet thnx guys this all helps a lot
i think I'll still try and do this, even though it'll probably take me like 10 years to get all the rock out...
thnx anyways

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 01:04:10 pm »

Build a garbage zone over a pit, then have your dorfs dump the stone into the pit. You can build it very close to the source of the stone since its only a single tile of space needed. It will greatly speed up dumping huge quantities of stuff.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 03:32:25 pm »

Related question -- If I dig a set of one tile wide channels for my water pumps, and dig them out of stone, then open a cave river, do I have to worry about tower caps growing in there? Will smoothing the floors first help?

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 06:15:39 pm »

I don't think you have to worry about that as long as you have water flowing or just sitting in the channel
Pages: [1] 2