Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making insides out  (Read 627 times)

Grigarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making insides out
« on: July 27, 2008, 08:13:33 pm »

I have a large entrance/trap area coming into my Fort where I do not want my wetodded dorfs to go during a siege. When I channel out the area above and floor it back in it goes from "Inside dark subterranean" to "inside light above ground" is this enough to make my dorfs stay out of the way or is that inside/outside tag going to mess it up for me

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making insides out
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:15:43 pm »

It seems to respond to the "subterranean" rather than "inside" label, so that should be enough to trigger it, as it will be evermore deemed "above ground", even if a roof is built overhead.

Caskman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:33:24 pm »

I dunno about the subterranean thing, but to be on the safe side I would make sure it registers those tiles as Outside by checking that all the spaces above your entrance/trap area are mined out and empty.  I usually try to build my trap entrances in areas that are already Outside so I don't have to mess with that.

good luck  :)
 reject your reality and substitute my own

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:31:12 am »

just lock the door and no dwarfs will go there untill you unlock it
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:45:45 am »

You should ensure that you have two (or preferably more) tiles of aboveground that your dwarves have to go through. Entry dancing dwarves have been known to make it past a single tile and through to the other side.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:24 am »

just lock the door and no dwarfs will go there untill you unlock it
Unfortunately, neither will crafty ambushers/besiegers think to investigate the trap-strewn corridor if there's not some way through there by which they can path to... erm... children. Which is just as well, really, as if a goblin were smart enough to just knock on a blocking door, you can bet your sunshine that some dwarf would be stupid enough to open it.

To the initial question: you could always try restricting/imposing a ridiculous pathing cost to move through the area in question?
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.