Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favorite ways to kill nobles?  (Read 1795 times)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite ways to kill nobles?
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:05:26 pm »

Mine is to put a bonecrafter w/ workshop in the noble's room, lock them in, and wait for a fell mood.  ;D

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite ways to kill nobles?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »

That would be the Roommate from Hell Technique, then? Not a bad idea, that, but it does seem very hit-or-miss.

Me, I prefer the Drowning Chamber approach.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:11:21 pm »

I've actually set up  lever for the vey purpose of killing off annoying nobles. Since I ahve a chasm running straight throught the middle of my fortress, I built a constructed, 1 tile floor out in th emiddle of it. Underneath I placed another that was 2 tiled further forward and placed a support on that, then on the top built a 1 tile wide bridge and another 1 square of floor.

On this floor I built a lever connected to both the bridge and the support, when pulled it makes the entire thing fall down into the chasm, and even if he somehow managed to get off before it collapses, the dust cloud will knock him off into the blackness below.

I know it works as well. I lost 3 stoneworkers and 2 peasants building it. But when I finally get a noble that says "I MUST have 40 thousand adamantine plate mails in my dining room!" it'll be pit time.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

I've always been one for the Spike Lever of Doom.

"Hoom hoom hoom! It is my noble right to flip any lever I want! Let's play with this one!"
shinkshinkshinkshinkshink

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:36:19 pm »

Why not just let them go crazy enough so they starve themselves to death in thier tomb while mopeing about not having a big enough room.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:14:58 am »

Lava. Everything's better with lava.

Of course, you then have to figure out a way to drain the room, be prepared to replace all the furniture, and engraving is out... but it's so much better with lava.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:20:34 am »

You could wall them off in the lowest part of your =Dwarven Wine= cellar.
Shoes...

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:43:56 am »

Station them in houses out in the middle of nowhere.

Wait until invasion.

Alternitivly...

Build platform above chasm, stock with food and wine, place bed on it, assign it to noble.

Deploy nobility to explore the brave new frontier at the bottom of a bottomless pit.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:46:56 am »

I build a goblin cage in each of their bedrooms, connected to a lever. As soon as a noble makes an unreasonable mandate, the door is forbidden and the lever pulled. After that, a squad is sent in to mop up.

Its terribly effective, I must say.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:26 am »

You could wall them off in the lowest part of your =Dwarven Wine= cellar.
I didn't know the Cask of Amontillado was so popular. Or is it just the same people repeating that over and over again?

Anyway, I usually just lock them inside and starve them out if I don't have time. If there's nothing else to do, I might take the time to build some more efficient way of killing them.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 04:13:10 am »

I feed 'em to a ballista.

Easy, effective, and amusing...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:45:10 am »

You could always designate their bed or dining table, etc. (provided not masterwork!) within a magma room, behind floodgates.  Once they are in there sleeping, close the flood gates and let the magma flow.

But really, that's a lot of work.  I just lock them in rooms.

Actually, I once locked a hammerer in her own room... the outer corridor was connected to the bed room was connected to the office was connected to an outdoor terrace overlooking a chasm.  For whatever reason, the hammerer wander into her office, so i locked her in that instead.  So she ran out the terrace and jumped in the chasm... this was pre-insanity and starvation, mind you.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 04:57:09 am »

My last fortress had three death chambers just for my nobles:
1) Pull lever, get crushed by drawbridge.
2) Pull lever, support below collapses, fall down 15 z-levels.
3) Pull lever, admire some masterwork wooden vertical spikes. And be killed by them.

Fun  :)

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:18:36 am »

You could always designate their bed or dining table, etc. (provided not masterwork!) within a magma room, behind floodgates.  Once they are in there sleeping, close the flood gates and let the magma flow.

But really, that's a lot of work.  I just lock them in rooms.

Actually, I once locked a hammerer in her own room... the outer corridor was connected to the bed room was connected to the office was connected to an outdoor terrace overlooking a chasm.  For whatever reason, the hammerer wander into her office, so i locked her in that instead.  So she ran out the terrace and jumped in the chasm... this was pre-insanity and starvation, mind you.

Urist McHammerer likes chasms for their mystery

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »

I once had a large ballista training range (wall on one side to deflect bolts downward).  I have a lever that when pulled, seal the door into the ballista's firing arc.  Get a noble in there to pull the lever, and FIRE AWAY!
Took a dozen shot to hit him (newbie ballista + low skilled siege engineer).  But it was satisfying.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: [1] 2