Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: can i use a lever to lock all the doors(and flood gates) in the fortress  (Read 1342 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well could i?

by a sincle lever close all the doors and the flood gates(flood gates have diff lever)so if needed i could lock all doors in the fortress and incase of flood all the flood gates.also i dont know what would be the best pumping system,incase if my fortress would flood from the brook then my dwarves could build walls in that room to prevent the fortress from flooding.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile

You can, though any door linked to a lever is stuck being openable only by levers.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What you cuold do is set up so every door has a second door behind it controlled by a lever that is always open, then if a flood happens, pull the lever and close the doors.

It's kinda like my excessive, over the top defense of my current fort:

On the surface I have a tower that EVERYTHING MUST pass through in order to get in to my fort, that has 3 bridges in it - one that can block off the main entrance to the fort and two that open diretly into the tower so that if I get sieged, I close the tower AND the fort off, then when my military is ready I open the tower and charge out.

If the invaders gain access to the main entrance of the fort, there is another double set of bridges in a trapped hallway as a backup that can block off that walkway.

If the invaders gain access to the tower there is another lever that will retract the ONLY bridge connecting the tower to the fort, trapping the invaders inside the tower.

If the invaders get past the backups, my actual fort is on the OPPOSITE side of a chasm, retract that bridge and there is no way for them to get across, I an rebuild my army and regroup before striking back.

In the event of a total containment failure, there is an emergency switch that is only accesible from the fort side of the chasm, past a trapped hallway and INSIDE the chasm itself in a small chamber that will, upon being pulled, initiate a total lockdown of the fortress and tower. That is, EVERY door that isnt vital to blocking miasma and ALL the bridges are linked to this lever, when pulled it will completely seal off the entire fort and then I can initiate recovery of personell and, if viable taking back the fortress.

However, if it is deemed that the fortress is unrecoverable, there is also a backup that will be used only as a last resort. There is one final lever that is linked to a VERY large resevoir of magma, with pipes linked to every single room in the fortress. If this lever is pulled, the entire fort, other than the panic room described below will be flooded completely with magma, killing everyone and destroying all plans of world domination trade goods. Yup, just loads of trade goods. Unfortunately, this lever happens to be at the BOTTOM of the chasm, and when pulled will drop the chamber it's in into the pit.

The panic room is set up as protection against the final resort. Inside it holds a couple of picks, a food stockpile and a load of random other things like armour and weapons so that if the fortress is lost the survivors will be able to continue on and perhaps, if the magma cools or is otherwise removed, they can repopulate and continue on.

At the moment I'm working on  drainage lever for the panic room that will be able to drain out the magma, that way if the fort is lost I can still recover it eventually, although at a substantial loss of equipment.

tl;dr = I go WAY over the top with protecting my fortress. WAY WAY over the top.

Oh, wow, that was quit off topic. anyways...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

quite off the topic
To the grammar Nazi mobile! nah nah nah nah nah nah naaaaaa!
anyway yea it is possible but not recommended and muwahahaha? i love your fortress!

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

muwhahahaha how long did it take you to plan and make that defence system?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is the most awesome set of defenses I've ever heard of.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile

i like the last option  ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okey is this a bug,ive got 2 dwarfes in the military armed with my best weapons and armor and there are 2 crocotiles in the barracks harassing a unconcius peasant who went hunting and my soldiers wont attack the crocks,ive got harass dangerus wild animals,chase opponent and theire on duty so how can i get them to kill the crocks?

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile

okey is this a bug,ive got 2 dwarfes in the military armed with my best weapons and armor and there are 2 crocotiles in the barracks harassing a unconcius peasant who went hunting and my soldiers wont attack the crocks,ive got harass dangerus wild animals,chase opponent and theire on duty so how can i get them to kill the crocks?
To my knowledge, the "chase dangerous animals" (or "Steve Irwin") trigger only comes into play if they know there's a dangerous wild animal to chase—and unfortunately, collective dwarf knowledge... telepathy... omniscience... applies only to pig tail socks and cave spider silk shoes (sock- or mittenscience?). If you want them to go somewhere specific, you will usually have to order them there:
Lower (x) opens a second military menu, for stationing squads and setting patrols. From here, you can plus/minus through activated squads (on- and off-duty), (s)tation squads (basically ordering them to go there and stay there, though they will abscond to fulfill basic dwarven needs such as drinking, eating, or flipping out) and set (p)atrol points (less useful, for me. If there's a need to have squads move from place-to-place, I usually do it manually).

Crocs in the basement sounds hilarious, by the way. I hope one of your stoneworkers is able to bash out a good engraving of it!

[edit: forgot forum code!]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:28:34 am by soup_alex »
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yheres dwarf knowledge about it and the crocks got inside while a dwarf rescued the wounded and the soldiers are right next to the the god damn crocks but still wont attack.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well the peasant died of bleeding cause no 1 helped him cause the crocks harassed him.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile

Maybe your soldiers in question just really, really like crocodiles. You know, for their... smiles? or something.
Really, though, the only good peasant is a dead one (or one that joins the military. I'm going to have my engraver carve out an image of the dwarven Kitchener to see if it boosts morale among recruits).
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could it be that noone helped him BECAUSE the crocs were harrassing him?

At least, that would stop civvies from helping, as far as the military goes, perhaps they got there and then decided they might go and run for a drink, or maybe  they began wrestling with them but werent able to get any significant damage?

[OFF TOPIC WARNING] - just so ya know

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile

wrestling
OH YEAH, CROCODILE WRESTLING!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well the peasant died of bleeding cause no 1 helped him cause the crocks harassed him.

If he bled to death he was mortally wounded anyhow.
Pages: [1] 2