Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing Scraps  (Read 1543 times)

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
Clothing Scraps
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:51:41 pm »

After being inundated by Kobolds and Goblins, I have a lot of "narrow" clothing objects that are a pain to get rid of.

I was thinking of something like melting metal objects, but making cloth/leather scraps instead to patch or make new cloth/leather items out of.

I'd like to see descriptions like:
"This is a Pig tail coat. It is made from Pig tail cloth. It is patched with cow leather."

Or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:58:06 pm by Lazureus »
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Scraps
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »

While were at it any clothing being worn should eventually (slower with higher craftsdwarfship) convert to 'ragged' and give a unhappy thoughts when worn, dwarfs will automatically exchange their rags for new cloths in your possession.  When anything/anybody is killed in combat theirs a high chance that their cloths become ragged.  Ragged cloths would be converted to generic rags and then the rags used for something like patching (or maybe just dumped).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »

Clothes already get raggedy (that's what all those xs are about) though their negative thoughts are turned off at the moment as a stopgap bug-fix.
Scraps are a good idea though. I'm thinking that past the XX stage clothes transform and litter the floor as rags and have to be packed like sand into rag bags. The Melt-but-for-clothes idea works too, though I have no idea how you'd go about darning, mostly because it needs a reliable supply of worn clothes in stockpiles. Until clothes are fixed proper, you'd always get a scrap-mountain and no clothes to mend.

And clothes (and armour) should get beaten up if worn by somebody who loses all his limbs, but that's going to be A Long Way Down The Road.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:10:08 pm by Skizelo »

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 05:33:42 pm »

Clothes already get raggedy (that's what all those xs are about) though their negative thoughts are turned off at the moment as a stopgap bug-fix.
Scraps are a good idea though. I'm thinking that past the XX stage clothes transform and litter the floor as rags and have to be packed like sand into rag bags. The Melt-but-for-clothes idea works too, though I have no idea how you'd go about darning, mostly because it needs a reliable supply of worn clothes in stockpiles. Until clothes are fixed proper, you'd always get a scrap-mountain and no clothes to mend.

And clothes (and armour) should get beaten up if worn by somebody who loses all his limbs, but that's going to be A Long Way Down The Road.

I wasn't just talking about Mending clothes with the scraps.
You should also be able to make patchwork clothes and bags out of the scraps too. It would give a use for all those "Narrow" and "Large" clothes that your dwarves cannot wear.

Past modding projects:
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

I wasn't just talking about Mending clothes with the scraps.
People do though, right? I'm out of touch with the modern seamstress. The only thing I know for sure can be made from rags is rugs, and carpets aren't implemented (yet).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:35 pm »

Being able to deconstruct clothing into threads would be an interesting addition, though there would still be the problem where that xXX*Pig Tail Sock*XXx is owned by a dorf and thus cannot be moved unless the dorf decides to move it on his own.

Such coding could probably be mostly copied from the melt metal object system. Designate a cloth item for salvage, and there's a chance (50% maybe?) that you can retrieve the thread its made out of. That would prevent clothing from being recycled indefinitely, as thread does wear out, but would allow the removal of old or unwanted cloth items.

This might also apply to leather items as well. And why not? Leather items are sewn together. Simply undo the stitches holding it together and you can retrieve the leather, but perhaps only a chance of doing so, to simulate some of the materials being damaged, and deconstructing cloth or leather would be done at their respective workshops using those skills.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »

Being able to deconstruct clothing into threads would be an interesting addition, though there would still be the problem where that xXX*Pig Tail Sock*XXx is owned by a dorf and thus cannot be moved unless the dorf decides to move it on his own.

Such coding could probably be mostly copied from the melt metal object system. Designate a cloth item for salvage, and there's a chance (50% maybe?) that you can retrieve the thread its made out of. That would prevent clothing from being recycled indefinitely, as thread does wear out, but would allow the removal of old or unwanted cloth items.

This might also apply to leather items as well. And why not? Leather items are sewn together. Simply undo the stitches holding it together and you can retrieve the leather, but perhaps only a chance of doing so, to simulate some of the materials being damaged, and deconstructing cloth or leather would be done at their respective workshops using those skills.

Other then the immovable cloting items dropped by military Dwarves, I think this is the most lucrative way to get tis of unwanted clothing.

though I'm not sure about making cloth back into thread.
Past modding projects:

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:38:55 pm »

If Paper is ever implemented (it may be deemed better to have only parchment), rags could be used in its production (and likely raw thread as an alternative so we don't have to actually wait for cloths to ware out to make the paper).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:26 pm »

Other then the immovable cloting items dropped by military Dwarves, I think this is the most lucrative way to get tis of unwanted clothing.

though I'm not sure about making cloth back into thread.

All dorfs will eventually accumulate massive piles of rags, but hopefully civilian dorfs will stuff them in the furniture in their rooms. However its still impossible to claim an owned item for dumping or other tasks. There first needs to be some way to do that, or even an automatic function where if an item is worn beyond a certain point, the dorf will automatically abandon and disown the item.

Also, the reclaim thread chance could be modified to whatever number seems good. I think reclaiming metal is 33%, so perhaps that value might also work for cloth/leather. However, as cloth/leather has its own type and even quality and dye, a simple chance dice roll instead of a % based reclaim might work.

Alternatively, the base thread type could be returned. No dye, no quality bonus. Just simple basic thread, simulating the wear and tear on the clothing in question.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:40 am »

I'd just settle for corpse pyres. Frankly most of this stuff shouldn't even be usable anymore - giant gouges, caked in blood and gore.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57:31 am »

Has anyone suggested a limb system for clothes as well? Sleeveok I guess.
It would help to flesh out the descriptions of clothes ("here is a cave-spider silk shirt. The left sleeve is torn off and  the lower half is torn" etc)