Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confiscate Items  (Read 1462 times)

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
Confiscate Items
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:14:48 pm »

As in, remove that "Owner: Random Dwarf" thing. It would also give a sad thought.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confiscate Items
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

As in, let the player do so?  No.

As in, let it be a punishment in dwarven justice?  Sure.

As in, let there be crime and thievery?  Yes.

As in, let nobles demand stuff that the peasants own and they'll take it by force with no consequences to themselves, but bringing your fortress one step closer to a french revolution?  This sounds like dwarf fortress.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:47:41 pm »

I don't much see the benefit of doing this, explain further?
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »

I think this is for unmovable clothes and objects that wrestlers/nobles throw onto the ground. you can't do anything but use the hide function to get rid of them.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:11:50 pm »

I think this is for unmovable clothes and objects that wrestlers/nobles throw onto the ground. you can't do anything but use the hide function to get rid of them.

THIS is why I want it.  If the dwarf isn't ****ing wearing it, THROW IT AWAY ALREADY!

But no, he owns it, so no one else can throw it away, but he won't do it because it's not junk, it's one of his valued posessions.

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 03:19:26 pm »

Do all dwarves with cabinets/chests eventually put that stuff away?  I've been giving everyone a nice room with appropriate furniture, and that problem seems to be much reduced in my current fort.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:23:29 pm »

Do all dwarves with cabinets/chests eventually put that stuff away?  I've been giving everyone a nice room with appropriate furniture, and that problem seems to be much reduced in my current fort.

I give them all rooms with cabinets and chests as well.. but my wrestlers still toss their clothes on the ground.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:50:54 pm »

Ah, then YES. This is a MUST. I absolutely HATE it when the one little pig tail sock is in the way of the wall being made so the water pool for my death chamber erm... happy fun room doesn't leak out and kill everyone. Usually I kill the SOB forgive the one who canceled the construction the most and use the chamber on him first give him the honor of owning the pool and give him his very own pet carp, complete with his own shiny lever to pull... for some reason, they never seem to live long after.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 04:29:33 pm »

Let the player do so. I am the overmind, if the peon dwarves don't like it... A HAMMERSTRIKE! :)

I support more direct control by the player - basically, the player should have any authority a noble has, only over-nobles. So, if, say, a Noble pisses me off, I can order him Hammered/imprisoned. This would give all Nobles a strong unhappy thought, but all non-nobility a happy thought.

Actually, that would work well. Just keep the nobility in the stocks all the time, and let the peons be happy. :)

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:52:20 pm »

Maybe instead of simply saying the item doesn't belong to the dwarf anymore, give him an order to clean it.
Something like the hide, dump, and melt options.
You would select the item, hit C, and its done.
The owner, once he has time, will then go clean up their marked items, as long as they have a proper place.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:31 pm »

I mentioned this earlier today in this thread.

It would certainly be a good addition for getting rid of junk thats in the way. To balance it out just make the unhappy thought last a while, so you can't strip someone down without making them go berserk and you have to wait a few seasons before you can grab more stuff.

Taking it a step further, perhaps even an option of giving a dwarf stuff to produce long term happy thoughts, like if my legendary cook has a masterwork meal eaten by vermin and is about to go berserk, just give him a new giant spider silk shirt studded with diamonds and hes happy again.

The magnitude of the happy or unhappy thought (and possibly duration) could be governed by likes/dislikes and the value of the item.

Or a simpler way of doing it without all the mess and extra menus: Just make it possible to dump owned items, and have the item retain ownership unless it's destroyed. So you can dump that noble's item to make room for his statue, and then reclaim it and let him pick it up and put it somewhere else. If the item is destroyed it could generate an unhappy thought (I think an owned item being stolen by kobolds already does, doesn't it? If so it could use the same thing).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:31:58 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 11:24:32 pm »

This is an often cited annoyance that Toady has either been unwilling or unable to track down the cause of.

The elegance of the OP is just that: effective and simple.

Whereas we'd love it if Toady would sidetrack himself to fulfill our whims, the fact is that he has an agenda to his work. He will, however, frequently spend an hour or more making neat little function changes (the mass build is the most recent example). These wonderful little gifts tend to be simple, but very welcome.

A simple little toggle than merely removes ownership could be done quickly, and maybe even by the next update.

Grigarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:00:24 am »

I want to be able to assign the item and the idiot dorf that left it there to a pit, preferabbly bottomless. I hate random socks!  >:(