Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trenches  (Read 1664 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Trenches
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:59 pm »

Yes yes, channels are all fine and dandy, but what about a defensive fortification that provides cover from missile fire? It wouldn't be too much use presently, but once the army arc is finished it could be quite the interesting battlefield fortification.

I think it would basically work as a sort of half channel. It wouldn't dig out the tile below, but it would partially excavate the floor. For particularily deep trenches of course channels would be used, but most channels wouldn't be deep enough to dig into hypothetical rooms below.

To get into a channel requires more effort than moving across regular ground, so speed is reduced while getting into or out of one. However, it would not require a ramp or a ladder to get in/out. It would provide a greater amount of cover from missile fire and also hinder attackers, as well as help to stop brushfires without impeding the movement of units too much.

Dwarf Assault mentions trench warfare to a large degree, as a note, and I think that kind of warfare would be very interesting to see in-game.

Thoughts?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Trenches
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »

Fortifications?
Or if you want it to act like trench you can climb out one, fortifications with ramps.

Trenches are more of a modern thing its designed for soldiers to be safe gun fires.  In the past, bow and arrow travels in a parabolic path enough that its generally better to just build a wall.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:38:35 pm by sweitx »
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »

Depends on the angle. You could easily have wooden slats on the top that would block missile fire from above, and the trench walls would stop any fire coming in at an angle.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 04:37:31 pm »

I don't really think this works as part of the Dwarf Fortress itself, but I can see siegers building temporary fortifications.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:47:02 pm »

I don't really think this works as part of the Dwarf Fortress itself, but I can see siegers building temporary fortifications.

I like the sound of that, The siegers making camps, maybe rolling in a catapult.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 04:59:03 pm »

Fortifications?
Or if you want it to act like trench you can climb out one, fortifications with ramps.

Trenches are more of a modern thing its designed for soldiers to be safe gun fires.  In the past, bow and arrow travels in a parabolic path enough that its generally better to just build a wall.

True but trenches were used occasionally in medivel times. Just ask any muslem. However these trenches were used to slow down the invading swordsmen, and had to be deep.

All in all, the chances that one has time enough to prepare such a trench are pretty slim, and these ancient trenches were as deep as designating a channel in DF.