Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shells  (Read 1613 times)

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shells
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42:14 am »

Well, next season you should get the human traders.  With any luck, they'll have turtles.  Or at least the option of requesting them in the trade agreement.

I wish you luck!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:44 am »

I think if you don't get turtles at embark, you won't be able to get from the caravan either, though it's possible the human caravan might be able to supply them.

I have modded my raws so that oysters and mussels also produce shells - they are shellfish after all.

Another difference between different civilizations is that they can be at war/peace with different enemies which will affect who might ambush/siege you.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:39 am »

Just to make sure, are you playing the latest version (0.28.181.39e), and not one of the previous recent releases (39a-d)?  I remember at one point turtles weren't showing up in the embark options, but this was fixed with one of the latest releases.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:22:51 am »

I think if you don't get turtles at embark, you won't be able to get from the caravan either, though it's possible the human caravan might be able to supply them.

I have modded my raws so that oysters and mussels also produce shells - they are shellfish after all.

Another difference between different civilizations is that they can be at war/peace with different enemies which will affect who might ambush/siege you.
Snailmen also don't produce shells, which is really stupid.  They even have shells as their prefstring.

Fishing should be your best bet.  I've got a manufactured waterfall, and I have my fisherdwarves fishing turtles out of my dining room.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 07:52:30 am »

Just to make sure, are you playing the latest version (0.28.181.39e), and not one of the previous recent releases (39a-d)?  I remember at one point turtles weren't showing up in the embark options, but this was fixed with one of the latest releases.

Ah! I'm playing the latest release now, but I embarked with an earlier release (and my other, preliminary starts were with that same release). Maybe that's why there were never any turtles at embark...

Well, my superbly-skilled swordsmith - one of my original dwarves - has gone insane and drowned himself (just up-river from our well - ugh! - in an inaccessible location). That's three suicides in a row due to the lack of shells.

But I can't blame his death on anyone but me. I'm still getting a hang of how much thought was actually given to this game. (Maybe I'm not smart enough to play it.) I finally noticed all the delicious fish dinners my cook was producing,... and realized that salmon, steelhead trout, and arctic char were probably NOT being caught in good turtle habitat! Heh, heh. Yeah, it takes me awhile...

So I removed all the fishing zones I'd set up and sent my fishermen to tiny mud-puddles, instead. You guessed it, they started catching turtles instead of salmon. :)

I still don't have any shells, because no one is eating the prepared turtles. I suppose I'll have to forbid the hundreds of prepared meals my cook has created. But the next time some moody dwarf demands shells, I should be OK. (What do you want to bet that no one will need them now?)

Bill

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:39 am »

Odd I have a refuse pile specifically for shells, bones, and skulls but stuff isn't getting moved to it. some stuff was but the majority of it isn't going there.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:53 am »

@userpay, do you have "dwarves gather refuse from outside" in the refuse orders menu?  The default is "dwarves ignore refuse from outside.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 12:11:04 pm »

... and realized that salmon, steelhead trout, and arctic char were probably NOT being caught in good turtle habitat! Heh, heh. Yeah, it takes me awhile...

So I removed all the fishing zones I'd set up and sent my fishermen to tiny mud-puddles, instead. You guessed it, they started catching turtles instead of salmon. :)

Yea, the spawn requirements for turtles are such that if you use a bucket-brigade to fill a 1x1 pond, you could get turtles from it.  Make it moving water, and you don't.  Just another quirk of DF!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 12:40:43 pm »

Put the seafood-to-eat stockpile as close as you can to your meeting area, or workshops, or barracks/bedrooms. My dwarves always eat the closest thing, regardless of Z-level though.

Seafood will rot to shells and bones eventually, even in barrels, so if you have some turtles stockpiled, your salvation is at hand.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »

@userpay, do you have "dwarves gather refuse from outside" in the refuse orders menu?  The default is "dwarves ignore refuse from outside.
Yes its set to gather refuse from outside and most of the stuff is in the fort but not collected, I'm considering setting a peastant to only gather refuse.
Pages: 1 [2]