Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: More special attacks like "Dragon Breath"  (Read 6271 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: More special attacks like "Dragon Breath"
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:01:14 am »

Rise, zombies, rise!!!
I would support wizards that have powers based on the spheres of the gods they worship. Death, fire, volcanos, pestillance, fertillity, etc.

Speaking of undead, zombies should grow up into skelletons. Why?
I'm glad you asked.
As zombies decrease in freshness, they loose more and more of their rotting flesh, becoming more and more skeletal. Without useless bulk weighing them down, they become faster and stronger. Thus:
Alive -> Corpse -> Zombie -> Skeleton
Burn bodies to prevent them from rising again as zombies, if you are in an evil biome. Kill zombie cyclopes to prevent your impending skeletal cyclopic doom.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:14:31 am »

Rise, zombies, rise!!!
I would support wizards that have powers based on the spheres of the gods they worship. Death, fire, volcanos, pestillance, fertillity, etc.

Speaking of undead, zombies should grow up into skelletons. Why?
I'm glad you asked.
As zombies decrease in freshness, they loose more and more of their rotting flesh, becoming more and more skeletal. Without useless bulk weighing them down, they become faster and stronger. Thus:
Alive -> Corpse -> Zombie -> Skeleton
Burn bodies to prevent them from rising again as zombies, if you are in an evil biome. Kill zombie cyclopes to prevent your impending skeletal cyclopic doom.

Hell yeah good suggestion regarding zombies -> skeletons. Argh would be so fun to have stuff like these already.  ;D

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 12:02:26 pm »

Ideas for mundane special attacks/abilities:
Ability to consume a living target whole
More venoms (We have numbness which reduces speed.  we already have systems for pain, fatigue, nausea and bleeding, so why not have extremely painful venom, venom that increases fatigue generation, venom that nauseates, and venom that makes bleeding last longer? Also, a venom that causes extra wounds to other body parts while it's in your system)
Separate optional knockback value for attacks that overrides the damage-based value?
The ability to disgorge acid is quite possible.
Ranged natural weapons
Bristles that hurt grappling opponents

Ideas for not so mundane abilities
Ability to pass through walls
Other breath weapon damage types as mentioned before
Aura effects (raises the dead, randomly sends toggle signals to mechanism-linked things, fear, attraction)
Ability to alter object composition.  Changing all weapons that hit the creature into ice, for example, which then melt away in the summer heat.
Blood types that create tiles of various liquids at 1/7 depth, or at more upon death (is this already possible using the corpse flag?), such as water, lava, acid, etc.
Ability to simply destroy objects made of some materials (wheee, fire-immune rust monster versus your magma system)
Oh, also something that JUST makes whatever it targets more and more unhappy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:05:42 pm by LumenPlacidum »

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »

Well, acid breath should be easy, sounds like projectile vomit, and you can do that with your hands in this game.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:35 pm »

This made me imagine something big and chunky sitting around staring at your dwarves until they go mad from unhappiness.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 11:37:09 pm »

It could just walk through your fort and as it passes you see waves of dwarves all walking to the nearest cliff and jumping off.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:54 pm »

Attacks on the Dwarven Psyche? A creature charms all you dwarves into deposing their king and obeying it's commands instead. Genestealers or Deep Ones? What kinds of requests would it make? Would you care about the change? What will the other kingdoms do?

All Hail the Hypnotoad!!!!
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:35 pm »

Ideas for mundane special attacks/abilities:
Ability to consume a living target whole
More venoms (We have numbness which reduces speed.  we already have systems for pain, fatigue, nausea and bleeding, so why not have extremely painful venom, venom that increases fatigue generation, venom that nauseates, and venom that makes bleeding last longer?
Ranged natural weapons
Bristles that hurt grappling opponents
Aura effects ( randomly sends toggle signals to mechanism-linked things, fear, attraction)
Ability to alter object composition.  Changing all weapons that hit the creature into ice, for example, which then melt away in the summer heat.
Blood types that create tiles of various liquids at 1/7 depth, or at more upon death (is this already possible using the corpse flag?), such as water, lava, acid, etc.
Ability to simply destroy objects made of some materials (wheee, fire-immune rust monster versus your magma system)
(cut down for specifics)
These ideas I LOVE. The mechanism aura intrigues me, or possibly adding a critter that ruins mechanisms in traps. and the various liquids is another great one. and as for the Bristles vs Grappler, make it so the bristles forcefully make the grappler let go or some body liquids that prevent it from being grabbed or possibly increase the chances that a weapon would slide off it's body.
material type switching would be interesting to: Magma flood defence? Hows about a creature that drops the temp around it so low that it would freeze magma and water (opposite of some HFS that we now of...) Wow simply brilliant Lumen!

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 02:53:41 am »

Attacks on the Dwarven Psyche? A creature charms all you dwarves into deposing their king and obeying it's commands instead. Genestealers or Deep Ones? What kinds of requests would it make? Would you care about the change? What will the other kingdoms do?

All Hail the Hypnotoad!!!!
I could see Fey being introduced with such charming abilities. Could be..scary as hell..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 07:01:02 am »

Hows about a creature that drops the temp around it so low that it would freeze magma and water (opposite of some HFS that we now of...) Wow simply brilliant Lumen!

Oh auras! Indeed yet another awesome idea. Freeze, heat, poison aura etc.../me roll need! :D

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 07:08:03 am »

Oh, and the ability to optionally separate DAMBLOCK by damage type.  Then, you can make treants very resistant to piercing/bludgeoning, but not so to slashing/fire

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:56 am »

Hows about a creature that drops the temp around it so low that it would freeze magma and water (opposite of some HFS that we now of...) Wow simply brilliant Lumen!

Oh auras! Indeed yet another awesome idea. Freeze, heat, poison aura etc.../me roll need! :D
You can do that right now with [FIXEDTEMP:x]

I don't think it's possible to freeze magma right now, but you can set "auras".

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:26 am »

Also, abilities.
Dwarven adventurers should be able to see in the dark, considering many dwarves spend thier entire lives underground.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 02:34:28 pm »

Or at least in monster caves.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 01:23:16 am »

I was just looking through the wiki and I noticed there's already a special attack for sucking blood. That's pretty cool and I'm gonna go look through all the other attacks I don't know about.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4