Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarf in fey mood has everything he wants, no construction  (Read 1870 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
dwarf in fey mood has everything he wants, no construction
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:53:13 am »

there are 3 messages in the workshop
i must have logs
i must have rock
i must have cut gems

in the items in building function i saw he had obsidian and tourmalines(gems) in the workshop. there are logs 3 squares away, but he doesn't seem to get them. any help?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf in fey mood has everything he wants, no construction
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58:45 am »

Are there any more cut gems or rocks around, just in case he needs more of them.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:12:15 am »

Gems is plural, does he have more then 1 gem? Do you have extra gems? Are they the right type?

I believe there are two kinds of gems that they need, but I don't remember for certain.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 11:13:15 am »

It switches to a new demand every two seconds or so. Its also quite common for a dorf to demand more than one item of the same type.

Make sure you have several of each item on the list available.

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:37:54 am »

Plurality of the statement doesn't reflect how many of the item the dwarf actually wants. Quantity is expressed by how long the message is displayed. Also, they'll only fetch the current item in the list, so if he's stalled before getting wood, then he wants whatever item is listed before 'wood.'

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:45:52 am »

i guess i need more gems  :( another insane dwarf
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:19:52 pm »

I lost both my legendary miners to this, it sucks :(.

The first one I didnt even lock the door on (silly me) so he went crazy and pickaxed a cook and a hammerdwarf(!!) to death before an Elitemarksdwarf had the smart idea of taking him down at range

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:21:13 pm »

lol i lock my dwarves as soon as i don't have the stuff ::)

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 12:37:25 pm »

My understanding is that there is a sequence in which moody dwarves will seek out components for artifacts. When they get item #3 of 6, say, on their shopping list back to the workshop, and find that they can't find/use item #4, they'll then sit in place and wait for it to become available, even if items #5 and #6 are ready and accessible. Not sure if there's any way of telling which of the ingredients in a rotating list is the one that's being waited for, other than the apparent availability of other list items, and what the little turd goes running for when it's available.

Dwarves can be quite anal about artifacts, it's true  :-\

Also, I've seen a few instances of the same (broad category of) item listed multiple times; e.g.
Wants
Wood
Rocks
Gems
Wood
Shells
(back to top)
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:10:19 pm »

Can it also be that the required type of material isn't there?  I had a dwarf go insane wanting "tree...life" and "stone...rock".  I had six types of logs available, and who doesn't have millions of stones laying around?

I assumed he wanted some kind of stone and/or wood that wasn't present on my map, or that I hadn't dug out yet.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 03:37:42 pm »

It's probably more related to cloth than anything.
I lost a few dwarves to the non-existent distinction between Cloth and Silk - in demands, it simply goes along the lines of Fabric/Cloth!
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 05:34:54 pm »

Can it also be that the required type of material isn't there?  I had a dwarf go insane wanting "tree...life" and "stone...rock".  I had six types of logs available, and who doesn't have millions of stones laying around?

I assumed he wanted some kind of stone and/or wood that wasn't present on my map, or that I hadn't dug out yet.

I think moods don't specify what type of material, on a matter of pragmatism (has anyone found a map with all types of gem? or even every rock).
Is that all your dwarf wants? I don't know what to tell you/

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 05:41:30 pm »

I don't know...unfortunately I just moved on after he went nuts, so I can't investigate further.  All I can think of is that it might have been flashing something like wood, rock, wood, rock, <something else>, and that I didn't watch long enough, thinking it was just repeating wood and rock.

He already had about five materials, too, so it was a shame. 

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »

They still demand items they've already gathered, which is a bit odd I think ("I demand gems! This one!")

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 07:02:08 pm »

Makes sense - they are insanely jealous of their items! They will go to great lengths to make sure no other dwarf comes along and takes an ingretient back out of their workshop!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday