Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Player  (Read 3457 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Player
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:49:05 am »

Hola,
    I just found this game a few days ago (Again I think...I believe the first time the graphics killed me..maybe that was DF1?) and I am now officially hooked. It's 3am and I just played the last 5 hours...and I want to play right now.  Next week I plan to give 50 USD to Bay12 to help them eat or buy drugs or whatever.  I just want to say how good it feels to be past the stage of trying to get past the graphics/old interface.  Such a good game.  Now if only my guys could move all that stone faster..is there a way to speed up time's passage? 

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: New Player
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:00:13 am »

Ooo a newbie!  We love newbies!  So tender and succulent...  Like kitten kabobs...

AS for your question.  No, not really.  The best thing to do is to build rock crafts at the Craftdwarf's Workshop and set it to repeat.  You'll slowly get rid of rocks, or at least keep the amount reletively the same, and you'll end up with tons of stuff to sell to the traders.  Make sure to make a finished good stockpile and a bunch of Bins at the Carpenter's Workshop to store all that stuff.  Also, don't build large rock stockpiles or your dwarves will be tied up constantly moving the rocks and won't get anything more useful done.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:04 am »

I like to just dump it. Then that employs all your useless peasants and it gets done faster and ends up in a neat little pile by my masons workshop. As far as making time pass faster, you can always go into the raws and increase the speed of dwarves, but that's cheating. Or just get a faster computer.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:29:48 am »

My computer is a Q6600 with a 8800 GTX and 4 gigs of ram...but anyway, a new question...i, eh, had a lot of stone storage...and my dwarfs are finally getting back to other work...but the trade caravan just got here and my depot isn't done (I just found out a bit ago that I needed one).  And I can't seem to increase the priority of the job in the jobs menu, even though it seems to be an option? 

EDIT- Still curious about that question but I got it finished finally.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:43:11 am by Snall »

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:47:13 am »

Let's see... Does it say your depot requires "Architecture" or something like that? If it does, then it enable it on one of your dwarves, he'll take the stone to the depot and you'll then see it constructed be your mason. That job, by the way, is reuired for bunch of other stuff (like forges and wells) so you'll probably want it enabled with your mason. Otherwise, just cancel all jobs on your architect's [p]references, and he'll have no choice but to design and construct the depot, as long as he isn't eating, sleeping and such.
As for speeding up the game: enter hardisk:DFfile\data\init and then enter the init text file. You'll find all sorts of perimeters to mess with that can't be called cheating, so increase the FPS cap. Once lots of dwarves arrive your computer will slow down, so you could also turn temperture and weather off. You can read more about that in the wiki.

And kittencuddler, that's kababs, or kebabs if you insist on writing it wrong yet in an acceptable manner.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:53:58 am by Bluefire »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:59:58 am »

My spell checker had both.  I just picked one at random.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:09:20 am »

To increase the priority on making/building something, switch all other jobs which are not required to make this thing on some dwarf off. The only problem is with masonry/mass wall construction, it's hard to make it at the same time because usually wall construction (which uses Masonry job) takes all the time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cymro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:18:13 am »

You could always build a skyscraper, enormous statue or temple with that rock. It will bump up your "architecture" wealth, and looks nice and roguelikeish.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 03:53:08 am »

How does one make a 'bigger' statue?  I didn't even think of a skyscrapper...that would be pretty cool...but I think i've made about a thousand stone crafts...was going to switch to stone swords..but apparently I have non-sharpeable stone..I thought I dug down to the next level with a channel and I put in a stairway..but my miners arn't going down there to mine...how do I keep seeds to plant next season?  Anyway..I need sleep...thanks for all the info.

EDIT- Oh yeah, how does one judge the trade value of things? I was going by weight for a while..ok NOW sleep.

EDIT x2- O...and how do I make sure my farms doing well? I see the pictures change but when I'm 'looking' it just shows the muddy farrow etc...

EDIT x3- (really the last one) How can I go and look at what happened to my guys?  I had a hunter injured somehow and I'd like to know how..as he hasn't woken up in like 2 months...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:58:15 am by Snall »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 04:00:53 am »

Obsidian is the only sharpenable stone.  For an idea of what the stone short swords are, google 'macahuitl'.

Trade value is pretty much something you'll have to play by ear- obviously higher quality and decoations of things help.  Generally steel and giant cave spider silk are the most expensive materials.  Once your trader has traded a bit, s/he will learn the Appraisal skill and you'll see values on items and when trading.

Farming is mostly automatic at the moment- either a crop is in season and will grow, or isn't and won't.  Once planted, they don't need any attention except someone to harvest them before they wither.

There is no way to tell how a past injury was inflicted, but him being a hunter he probably took on prey he couldn't handle.  Have a look at his profile and see if he has weapons equipped.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:09:50 am by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cymro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:49:28 am »

How does one make a 'bigger' statue?
Well, not really a statue, but a large tower that you can look at in 3Dwarf. This one is a fine example.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:36 pm »

Wow, that was built with walls?? Awesome.  Also thanks for the info..and yeah I remember Obsidian...I just read all of Steven Erikson's books..and I had flint..lol.  Hmm, I knew I should have paused it right away when it said he was injured...I just wish I could have it tell me as soon as he got in a fight with something that could fight back (He has killed 3 wolves anyway..along with about 30 poor deer.)  Thanks for the info people. I'm sure i'll be back...winter's here.

EDIT- Here's one, how do I get to that screen that's in the first page of the tale of Boatmurder, where it shows the elephants and giant jaguar (Makes sense..giant jaguar to kill elephants..)?  It looks like some kind of 'local creatures' page and I would like to be able to check something like that.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:08:46 pm by Snall »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »

I don't currently see that screen, but I guess it's 'u'. 'u' brings up the unit list which can be scrolled up and down and it shows every visible creature on map.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »

Press "u" and scroll down. All your swarves will be listed first followed by other "alive" (uncluding any zombies etc) things on the map and finally everything that is dead and on the map.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 01:30:37 pm »

Thanks a lot...looks like a pack of wolves probably got him after he killed a few...and I think we killed all the deer...oops?  I'm finally figuring out how to place my walls/destroy ramps so i'm protecting the outside of my fortress as when I began to build my top level I didn't even think of defense and my first room is just a huge storage/workshop area...made it to spring anyway.  How do I look at his wounds more closely? I see he's still unconscious after about 6 months...but all I see is that his lower body is in red. 

Anyway my new next layer down is much more secure with a double wall outside the entrance and a long hallway with two planned murder holes, need to find out where to build mechanisms because I believe they're needed for traps? Or just the lever and the spikes/etc? 

EDIT- O yea, I also tried building animal traps at my wood working place but no one did it, although they seem to do everything else there pretty quickly. Is there something i'm missing?

EDIT- Just had my second group of migrants..how is that decided? I had about 13 population...and about 20 migrants should up.. and I build nice bedrooms..sigh

EDIT- Well I found out ( I think) what injured my first hunter...a grizzly bear...and now a hunter, with 30 steel bolts!, is dead..  How can I send warriors to attack it?  And people talk about guard/soldiers, any difference?  And how can I even find his corpse with my patrol point when I can only get to it by zooming..if I change military to attack wildlife will they
hunt the grizz down?

EDIT- And how can I take hunting dogs away from someone I assigned them too? Or too late?

EDIT- Well I set my squad of soldiers (One of the original 7 who's a macedwarf and 2 new guys with xbows and a swordswoman) on a long patrol path and apparently they killed the grizz, so that's good.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 03:40:02 pm by Snall »
Pages: [1] 2 3