Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Skullcrusher Mountain (A Story / Community Lair)  (Read 15128 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Skullcrusher Mountain (A Story / Community Lair)
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »

Taking my inspiration from the great Jonathan Coulton, I have decided to start up a new story fortress: Skullcrusher Mountain.  I'm just getting started right now, but I wrote up a sort of introduction.  In all those movies, you see this beautiful, polished evil volcano lair where the hero is ensnared in some overly complex trap while the bad guy waits somewhere else.  I figure it'll be fun to explore the tedium of actually constructing the evil volcano lair.  It didn't start out that pretty, damn it!  Those minions worked hard, carving that lair from the bare rock and polishing the walls with their spit, and no one ever appreciates it!

With that, I give you the first chapter of Skullcrusher Mountain.

Chapter 1 - Initial Map - Year-End Map

Chapter 2 - Year End Map

Chapter 3
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:03:15 am by Sappho »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Skullcrusher Mountain (A Story)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:19:58 pm »

Can't wait to see what kind of devious, completely unnecessary deathtraps you come up with.  Though I must say, that without water, you'll be pretty hobbled on killing machines.  Not to mention no natural obsidian tower.

Still sounds fun.  Good luck with your evilness and towerbuilding.  Will there be sieges?

EDIT: Didn't know the language files don't contain 'horrible'.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:23:25 pm »

I'm working on the first real chapter still, but it occurred to me to post this just in case anyone managed to miss the greatness that is JoCo: http://www.jonathancoulton.com/mp3/Skullcrusher%20Mountain.mp3

Anyone have any ideas for integrating a half-pony/half-monkey monster?  ...without regenerating the world? :/

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »

I have updated the document with the first year of Skullcrusher Mountain development.  Click the link in the first post to read the whole thing.

I'm also opening up the story to audience participation, if anyone is interested.  Who wants to be a henchman?  Or henchwoman?  And who has an idea for a gender-neutral term for that position?  I'm thinking of "hencher" at the moment.  I'd like to get "hench" in there somehow, since that's what they do.

They hench.

I'm also willing to listen to any ideas for additions to the lair.  I'm thinking of turning invasions off as well, since they would be difficult to work into the storyline and force poor Dr. Destruction to focus her efforts on such frivolous things as a well-designed defense system.  When would that leave her time to develop over-elaborate death traps?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:33 pm »

The beginning of chapter 2 is up!  I've added a link to the first post, or you can click here:

Chapter 2

I'm interested in turning this into a sort of community lair.  Is anyone interested in becoming a hencher for Dr. Destruction?

...You'll get college credit!

I'm also looking for a nemesis, and any other characters you folks might find it interesting to add.  I have five unnamed henchers right now, and an immigrant wave should be coming soon.  Any takers?

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
Re: Skullcrusher Mountain (A Story / Community Lair)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:59:06 pm »

Sounds awesome. I'm down.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:08:23 pm »

Glad to have you aboard, Smeej.  We're very happy to see your interest in henching for Dr. Destruction.  If you would please fill out this application form, we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Name:
Reason for wanting to hench with us:
How do we know you aren't a spy?:

Alternatively, if your interest lies in a position other than henching, let us know and we will locate the appropriate forms for you.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »

Maybe you should just call your henchdwarves minions.

But if you call them hench-somethings you can call their kids henchlings.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:55:37 pm »

No filled applications yet?  I think it's a neat idea.

Name: Gravejob
Specialty: I likes to carve the bones.  Pretty bones.  I likes to take the bones out and carve them.  Horse, cat, donkey, dwarf, marmot, elf.  Pretty Bones.
Reason for wanting to hench with us: I gets to take the bones out with a sword.
How do we know you aren't a spy?: Pretty pretty pretty bones.

I think the genderless term is just 'hench' actually.  A hench, one who henches, the act of henching.  One of english's funny-words.  Minion, croney, mook, goon, they're all good.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »

Thank you, Mr. Gravejob.  Your application for the position of henching associate has been accepted.  Your employment will begin immediately.  Welcome to the Dr. Destruction family.

I'll probably try to get another update up sometime tomorrow.

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:50:17 am »

wOOt me too!

Name: Oddbins

Specialty: Fortress guard type person! Either Military or Fortress guard so I can lounge around skulking through the corridors armed with a cross bow!

Reason for wanting to hench with us:
I've turned my back on so-called society! They took away my crossbow and kicked me out oF my last position for getting drunk on duty and then winging the Barons Consort. Ugly little bugger, I mistook him for a troll.

How do we know you aren't a spy?: I have no where else to go! Plus Im cheap! All i wanna do is lounge around drink and shoot people! I meant shoot... things!
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:16 am »

Name: Meatbag Gamma. I am not a robot.
Specialty: I work with machines. I am not a robot.
Reason for wanting to hench with us: Because I cannot find work where I can work with mechanisms and wear the skins of my co-workers. And I am not a robot.
How do we know you aren't a spy?: I am clearly not a robot.

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 09:05:17 am »

name: Madgrabs they called me. yes,yes Madgrabs
specialty: Madgrabs like to work with the metal. yes,yes, shine it is.
reason for wanting to hench with us: they send Madgrabs away. they wanted to kill madgrabs but Madgrabs kill them all. yes, they dead now
how do we know you aren't a spy: Madgrabs no spy. Madgrabs kill them all yes. with shiny metal. Madgrabs likes shiny metal.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:27:09 am by iluogo »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 10:17:17 am »

Thank you, Mr. Oddbins.  Your application for the position of henching associate has been accepted.  Your preference for guard duty will be taken into consideration.  Welcome to the Dr. Destruction family.

Thank you, Meatbag Gamma.  Your application for the position of henching associate has been accepted.  Your preference for mechanics duty will be taken into consideration.  We notice you have not provided us with your gender.  Dr. Destruction is an equal opportunity employer, and respects your right to gender confusion.  All job titles are gender-neutral.  Welcome to the Dr. Destruction family.

Thank you, Madgrabs.  Your application for the position of henching associate has been accepted.  Your preference for metalworking duty will be taken into consideration.  We notice you have not provided us with your gender.  Dr. Destruction is an equal opportunity employer, and respects your right to gender confusion.  All job titles are gender-neutral.  Welcome to the Dr. Destruction family.

---

By the way, I'm considering having some of you henching associates go out and conduct some villainy on your own, in the form of short adventure-mode stories, which you would then report back to me on.  Details would be worked out later, but for now I'd like to know how many of you would be interested in doing this?

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:11 pm »

Fine by me. As you may have gathered, Meatbag Gamma is actually a robot, trying to pose as a dwarf. He's not a spy, just an emotionless killing machine who likes making all kinds of cool machinery.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4