Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Coal Floors Burn?  (Read 851 times)

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Coal Floors Burn?
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:10:03 pm »

I've read that Coal Walls will catch fire and burn ferociously. Will Coal Floors do that? I mined out a lot of fort but some of it is located in stone that used to be coal. I replaced the coal walls with constructed walls, but should I replace the floors too?

Not that I'm expecting any fires, but just to be on the safe side, you know?
- Relee the Squirrel --

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Do Coal Floors Burn?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:02:09 pm »

I thought ALL walls were indestructable?  ??? ??? ???
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:15:37 pm »

Natural coal and lignite veins and chunks on the ground will ignite and burn. Floors wont.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:29:01 pm »

Okay, thank you!
- Relee the Squirrel --

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

Natural coal and lignite veins and chunks on the ground will ignite and burn. Floors wont.

In my current fortress, I channeled out a path for my magma to flow into to build magma forges.  I channeled through the center of a vein of Bituminous Coal by accident.  The coal chunks burned, the vein itself did not.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:35:19 pm »

A lump of lignite/coal dropped in magma will burn for a LONG time (like about a year), releasing constant clouds of smoke. Cool if you want to create ominous billowing smoke clouds by your entrance, or something.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:49:40 am »

I once built a magma funnel out of wood, hoping to see some fireworks. It didnīt work. Dwarves apply a General Products treatment to all their walls, and thus are virtually indestructible. (Rumor says antimatter can bring them down, though)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:58 am »

I remember a vid on that site where you can put DF movies on it... name slips my mind... it had magma rushing past a channel bordered by bitimunous coal... smoke was everywhere, but the coal itself in the walls didn't "burn".
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:04:52 am »

Because it doesn't matter what type of material did you use for the construction of the wall/floor temperature-wise.
Currently the only ways to destroy a constructed wall/floor are 1) to designate them to be deconstrcted; 2) cave in.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository