Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 2752 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Immigration
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »

Immigration is influenced by a lot of things.  The total pop cap is set by total wealth and floor space, and then this is decreased by reports of death and executions.  Noble deaths count more.  There's a lot of other things about which types of dwarves come based on what sorts of jobs you've done and things you've found, but I think the above are the main factors.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

quote:
which types of dwarves come based on what sorts of jobs you've done  

Then how come the game tries to give me a hunter in each wave, even tho i NEVER hunt ? :P

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

I store ALL things inside my fortress.  I have huge huge warehouse areas full of stone and ore and other such junk.

Is this why I'm getting so many immigrants?  Even with no roads and maybe 4 crafts sitting around I'm getting 18-20 every few months.

Also, I love to detail my walls because it's pretty.  Is this giving me too many immigrants?

Maybe only hve areas the traders SEE count towards it?  I always put my trade building outside so they can't see into my fort.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »

Aha, floor space!  Probably the fact that I wound up building most of my buildings outside has influenced it then.  (Well you know it made sense to put the wood stockpile near the trees, and the carpenter near the woodpile, and the mason near the stone stockpile which was initially outside because that's where there was space, etc.)  I've mostly cleared out a tunnel to the underground river, living quarters and a few rooms off of the main drag underground at this point.  I suppose the fact that the only danger outside at this point has been a wandering alligator has affected these choices as well.  (Cold region, wandering alligator, makes sense...?)  Perhaps it is time to implement my plan of moving more industry underground.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

Egads! My preemptive digging and incessant bonecrafting is what is causing my 30+ immigrant waves.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »

Maybe it should be judged more on empty bedrooms than amount you have dug...

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2006, 07:12:00 pm »

Interesting. Guess I'm going to be storing all my stone outside from now on...

Going by bedrooms instead is a great idea though.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but after managing a fortress of 50+ dwarves, starting again with 7 was actually rather boring for me. I'd got so good at management that I spent most of my time just sitting waiting for them to do things.

But I can see the point Baro is making. I had actually thought about this before. It might bring in another potential audience, which is always good.

And Toady, as for people on easy mode ruining the endgame, I don't think it would happen so much. I mean, someone with only 10-20 dwarves tunneling inside the mountain is going to find a nasty surprise that they probably can't handle, whereas someone with 100+ has a dedicated army by that point.

Mirsha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »

I feel the same way about the starting game, it's really tedious compared to the later game. Having to do the same stuff over and over again which could take hours gets a bit tedious which is why I'm now scumming saves as I don't really want to go back to the start again.

That is until I find some nifty trick which can be massively useful at the start and improve overall efficiancy.

Still as far as immigration goes, I've not had any real troubles so far. I'm up to 80 dwarfs in my best game currently, I've got about 40 single 3x3 rooms setup and another 40 beds over four seperate barracks stretching back to the lava. I'm yet to witness my latest immigration though which cuold be a back breaker since carving out new rooms forces too many dwarfs to cart stone miles and miles away diverting them from their precious mud and farming. Still I've got 450 food at the moment which should last me through the winter.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2006, 09:55:00 pm »

I think that this game needs game speeds, a better interface for controling the dwarves, and smarter dwarves.  I also think that emigration should be controled by the # of empty beds you have.  The main thing I find worng with the game at least in the start (I haven't gotten past the start) is that it moves too slow.  Game speeds please.

Sheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arnos:
<STRONG>I think that this game needs game speeds, a better interface for controling the dwarves, and smarter dwarves.  I also think that emigration should be controled by the # of empty beds you have.  The main thing I find worng with the game at least in the start (I haven't gotten past the start) is that it moves too slow.  Game speeds please.</STRONG>

Immigration really shouldn't be a problem until you get a manager, at which time it would be convenient to be able to send requests for or refuse future immigrants.  Just doing it arbitrarily via beds is a rather roundabout and unrealistic way of handling the situation.

As for controlling the dwarves, I'm sure your qualms with lack of control will be gone as soon as job prioritization is done and (hopefully) there's a way to assign items to dwarves.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

Well, you see the reason I suggest it be by bedrooms is that a dwarf's bedroom is basicly his house, so free bedrooms would be your free housing, and so having it somwhat based on your free bedrooms(or just your total beds) is baseing it on your fortress's available living area.

After all if you didn't have any place for people to live not many would move there, some probly would anyway but seriously, who wants to move to a place that doesn't have any place for you to sleep aside from the huge mining are you have that you accidently made 7x7+ and forgot to put supports into?

:p

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:00 am »

Maybe the places they are coming from are just as scary as the places I've been reading about...  dwarf livin is hard business.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 03:47:00 am »

Yes... Afterall do we really know where all our dwarfs had to go when the huge 100+ fortress was abandoned? oh no! there coming here and I've got no food just like the last place!
Truly a horrible never ending cycle!    ;)

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]