Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding the magma pipe  (Read 1170 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
finding the magma pipe
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:06 pm »

I started a location using the search system so I know it has a magma pipe somewhere, what do people recommend to find out where, or should I just mine for miles and miles.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: finding the magma pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:52:10 pm »

the easiest way, assuming you don't mind one of your zlevels being ugly, is to just dig down a few levels (or just use the bottom level) and then make a grid of tunnels over the whole map. eventually someone will hit warm stone, and now you know where it is.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:58:55 pm »

Eh.  I just dig exploratory holes from the surface.  The top of the pipe will never be more than about three or four levels down, and probably just two.  Parse out the map into region segments and try to remember which one the embarker said the pipe was in.  You want to actually breach the thing (obviously from the top) so that it's revealed, not just have a vague idea of where it is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:01:58 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »

Do the grid thing, but space the lines out by 10. When you encounter obsidian, you know your in the area. Find out what one of the regional tiles the obsidian zone is in, and dig down through the center of that zone.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:08:39 pm »

hmm my top 4 levels are all soil types (although one biome has an aquifier at that level) but I should be able to grid through that pretty fast.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 07:46:29 pm »

If you want to find it through cheating (still not sure if this threads point was realistic strategies or just finding it) make sure you have a trade depot built, press "shift-->D"  (capital D, the button you use to path the caravan to your depot).

Change your view down a few z-levels, making sure you haven't breached the z-level your viewing, the look around the level a bit. There is a magma pipe if there is a large area of red "x's" in a random place in the undiscovered rock.

The red "x's" usually denote a general area of the magma, so you shouldn't plan on the magma pipe being exactly where the x's are, but at least on the inside of the x-covered area.

Probably a confusing explanation, but it works efficiently and effectively.

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 06:57:59 am »

Or you can export a map using 3Dwarf, and look about a bit. Thats how I find mine anyway.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:03:55 am »

If you want to find it through cheating (still not sure if this threads point was realistic strategies or just finding it) make sure you have a trade depot built, press "shift-->D"  (capital D, the button you use to path the caravan to your depot).

Change your view down a few z-levels, making sure you haven't breached the z-level your viewing, the look around the level a bit. There is a magma pipe if there is a large area of red "x's" in a random place in the undiscovered rock.

The red "x's" usually denote a general area of the magma, so you shouldn't plan on the magma pipe being exactly where the x's are, but at least on the inside of the x-covered area.

Probably a confusing explanation, but it works efficiently and effectively.

This is an interesting trick.  I tried it out on my map and kind of got the opposite effect.  On my lower, un-dug levels, I see X's everywhere except for a 50x50 blob.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:33 am »

This is an interesting trick.  I tried it out on my map and kind of got the opposite effect.  On my lower, un-dug levels, I see X's everywhere except for a 50x50 blob.

Thats what I get too, looks like that area is below and aquifer too, this could be interesting. Thanks for the help everyone.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:02:45 am »

I just confirmed that I have a magma pipe in my area.  It is heavily populated so I'm sealing it off for now... :)

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:46:21 pm »

All of these tips are excellent, though you don't necessarily need to cover the whole map. Look at where the magma is on your embark map to get a general idea where it will be in-game. If its in the top left corner... start mining up there...

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

Also cheating, but I always run companion alongside. So if wanna know know where the pipe is at the start I just "zoom" over to a fire-imp/fireman/magaman (whatever, you get the idea) and I know where it is...

((note, fire imps can "jump out of the pit" and move around... so if you wait to long, this doesnt work always. Fireman/Magmaman though can leave the pit and stay stuck in the pipe where they are, these mostly keep working to find the pit/pond))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 03:13:02 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.