Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible Force of Darkness  (Read 990 times)

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invisible Force of Darkness
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:23:33 pm »

Elves besieged my fortress and I don't know if they're still out there since they're hiding in ambush.
The siege tag isn't present but I don't know if that means the elves aren't there or if my dwarves don't know they're not there.
I only have seven dwarves and I can't risk losing them right now, is there any other way to tell if the invaders are present or not other than sending someone out to get shot?

edit: Some migrants have arrived.

edit: Migrants refusing to budge from arrival point.

edit: Apparently, the stay indoors order caused the migrants to freeze up since there were no indoors for them to go in...

edit: situation normal, the elves are gone, maybe it's because the macaques stole their ammo...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:24:01 pm by WingDing »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Force of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:25:20 pm »

You could use Dwarf Companion and scroll through the unit list.

Or wait for a caravan.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:26:05 pm »

How did you get a siege with only 7 dwarves anyway?
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »

Its an ambush force, not a siege, and there have been quite a few reports so far about elves at war with dwarves causing very early violent ambush forces.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:21 pm »

You could use Dwarf Companion and scroll through the unit list.

Or wait for a caravan.

I don't have Dwarf Companion and have no real interest to go through the process of installing it...

As for the caravan...

How did you get a siege with only 7 dwarves anyway?

Elves don't send snatchers like goblins so their first attack is always a full-blown siege (or an ambush.) I forgot to mention it's mid-spring of the second year, I haven't gotten a migrant wave yet and the caravan probably won't come back until autumn.

Its an ambush force, not a siege, and there have been quite a few reports so far about elves at war with dwarves causing very early violent ambush forces.

If it's an ambush why did they announce their presence with the "vile force of darkness has arrived" message?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:05:13 pm »

Here's a suggestion. Kick an animal outside. The elves will move to kill any living object you have out there, so if after a little while the animal remains unmolested, it is safe.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:14:06 pm »

Here's a suggestion. Kick an animal outside. The elves will move to kill any living object you have out there, so if after a little while the animal remains unmolested, it is safe.
That's highly ironic...

I don't know how to "kick an animal outside" considering I would have to kick it upwards.

Also the migrants are refusing my orders to move near the fort for some reason... Or anywhere at all for that matter, they insist on staying put where they arrived.

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:24:37 pm »

A drawbridge perhaps?  Cow catapult!

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 04:29:57 pm »

A drawbridge perhaps?  Cow catapult!

Drawbridges do not work that way!  :(

They just displace the stuff on top of them.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:39 pm »

edit: Migrants refusing to budge from arrival point.

Sometimes if the migrant is a solider type they get stuck at the edge of the map and that holds up the ones behind them.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd