Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Forbidding material used to build workshop also stops workshop tasks  (Read 708 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Possibly more a feature than a bug.  ;D

If you have a workshop build out of, say, granite, and you forbid that piece of granite, no new tasks can be started at the workshop. If there's already a dorf on the task he'll finish it up, but no new tasks will be started. You can even add new tasks to the queue if you want to, and they'll just sit there until you reclaim the material the workshop itself is made of.

This allows for some interesting possibilities, such as stopping work on a workshop without having to clear or reset the queue, or forbidding workshops such that you can have your legendary dorf do all manager-based queues in a single shop.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

This is how it handles buildings when you arrive on reclaim and can't use the workshops until you explicitly claim them.  Forbidding the building object forbids the building.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would definitely say "feature" vs. "bug".  It makes perfect sense to me that, if you aren't allowed to use its component parts, you aren't allowed to use the workshop as a whole.  It is probably more logical to freeze the current task as well, but dwarves are stubborn: maybe that's just exactly how far they're willing to compromise.

"Alright, alright, it's banned.  I'll git out...  <mumbling>right after I finish this last bone bolt...</mumbling>"

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile

As I found, this has some confusing side effects:

I chose a site that was a savage evil swamp, had a hidden volcanic vent (found via the search tool), perfectly flat terrain, and an aquifer level under two layers of rockless soil. Having just abandoned an above-ground wooden fortress that went horribly awry, I opted to go with the subterranean approach and brought enough material to encase the wagon and downward stairs in an impenetrable building. Since I anticipated working with magma, I chose bauxite.

All of my early buildings were made with the surplus of bauxite. Eventually I deconstructed some of them, but to my annoyance my mason was going out of his way to make furniture from my precious magma-proof stone, so I went into the stock screen and forbade all of it.

This was in middle of a dwarven caravan arriving, about twenty lumber haulers spamming order cancellations due to kobold thieves and zombie slugmen, and setting up a channeling project for the recently discovered magma pipe. It was swiftly forgotten in the chaos.

When things settled down I noticed that my head brewer/cook was sitting around twiddling his thumbs. I ensured he had no other jobs set, tried setting other dwarves to brew or cook, and even attempted to deconstruct the buildings, but couldn't even do that. I built a new brewery and kitchen and my head chef went back to work, so something was obviously wrong with the original buildings.

A shower and wild theories about my wagon possibly queuing jobs later, I checked the contents of one of the buildings with "t" -- and the bauxite building material had double parenthesis. I had accidentally forbidden the building without realizing it.

tl;dr, perhaps it would be a good idea to not make workshops forbiddable from the stock screen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:31:22 pm by Eidako »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kind of like this actually. I have all workshops built out of the same material. Thus, I can go into the stockpile screen and forbid this material (which is only used for workshops, nothing else) and halt all workshop production all at the same time, from one centralized location.

This is good if, say, there was just a siege and I need a lot of idle dwarves for cleanup duty, or to empty out a caravan.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile

Maybe separate options for forbidding materials and workshops made out of the material then?