Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Separate movement speed and action speed  (Read 903 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Separate movement speed and action speed
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:04:19 pm »

Currently, wolves and other four-legged creatures move just as fast as you. At the same time, I wouldn't be okay with them getting twice as many attacks per round - I'm already in danger of getting my throat torn out from random encounters.
So, hence the suggestion in the title.
I'm not sure if Agile stat-increases should increase both, or if movement speed should be pre-determined by raws - or perhaps movement speed should be affected half as much, but also be affected equally much by the Strength stats. So one level of agile and one of strength would be equal to one of the current agility effect.
That way you could still get soundbarrier-breaking workers, but they'd need to be more legendary.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Separate movement speed and action speed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:18:41 am »

I like this suggestion, imagine a huge slow-moving bug with fast-moving pincers (umh.. Yeah, I've just watched the Starship Troopers 3).
Also big creatures like giants and colossi should walk much faster than small dwarves (they have long legs :)), while their swings may be slow.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »

I have no idea how difficult this would be (creating a new category for movement, new tags, etc) but it would be nice to see, though hard to notice.
Basically, combat needs more legs, and this would be nice to see.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »

I agree here. This would really improve plausability for me. Just imagine that your legs are broken (in the game). Right now, that would significantly slow your ability to, for instance, fire a crossbow or drink some water.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:28:24 pm »

Good suggestion mate, imho we can talk more about this, when the Combat Arc development will be close enough.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:14:57 pm »

Good suggestion mate, imho we can talk more about this, when the Combat Arc development will be close enough.
I still think you're misunderstanding this whole Arc thing.
Just because it's got its own specific Arc dealing with it, does not mean it's all being done at the same time.
Granted, MOST of the features happen at the same time.
But, take Adventurer Skills Arc for instance.
A fair bit of it (building, digging, chopping trees) is happening next, a la the Future of the Fortress.
Whereas the rest of it, that is every other Dwarfy skill for adventurers, will probably happen later.
Tl;dr: Any suggestion can come into play at any time, regardless of what Arc we're in.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:35:58 pm »

Tl;dr: Any suggestion can come into play at any time, regardless of what Arc we're in.
But nevertheless, whatever you want is going to be in the Caravan Arc.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:39:42 pm »

I think this is planned actually.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.