Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many Code Toadys does it take to Code a Line of Code  (Read 1493 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
How many Code Toadys does it take to Code a Line of Code
« on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Hey Toady. How many lines of code does DF spawn our at this date and how many files, just counting code, not models, textures and scripts? How many hours a day do you spend at coding? People at school are wondering since you make us look bad, and thats good couse then i can play the next version of DF soon.  :)
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: How many Code Toadys does it take to Code a Line of Code
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

Doing a search for the character ;, which ends a statement in C/C++, I get 143431 lines containing it.  This doesn't count complex conditionals or additional statements on the same line, and it does count things like "break;" and commented-out code blocks, so it's a rough estimate.  I have 136 cpp/h files.  Breaking some of the large ones up is one of those things I never get around to doing.

Let's see, I get up at 10/11AM every day, and go to bed at 4AM most days, though sometimes at 2 or 3.  I spend an hour or so with the forums, and an hour or so handling email/donor stuff.  And there's a bit of eating and reading on the web and so on.  The rest of it is spent coding at various levels of intensity, depending on who's around.  I'll occasionally watch a movie or something.

[ September 10, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

Hooray Toady!

Snogmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

Such a hard worker!  I almost feel bad holding off donating again till the next version(I almost broke down when our Toady's kidneys broke down), but it's getting so close now I can feel it, and I'll feel sooo much better shelling out 50 bucks for DF updates than I did for that travesty they called M2TW:Kingdoms, that I still cannot get to work and want to punch their tech support staff.
quot;A man chooses, a dwarf obeys."

Andrew "Tarn" Ryan, Mid-Winter, year 1960

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I get up at 10/11AM every day, and go to bed at 4AM most days, though sometimes at 2 or 3.  I spend an hour or so with the forums, and an hour or so handling email/donor stuff.  And there's a bit of eating and reading on the web and so on.  The rest of it is spent coding at various levels of intensity, depending on who's around.  I'll occasionally watch a movie or something.
</STRONG>

Sweet Jesus, up to 14 hours of coding per day? I have newfound respect for you.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

I had no idea you spent that much time on this project. I mean I know you're making progress all the time, but that's unreal. We all want an update, but breathe man, breathe! Don't burn yourself out on us, or the updates beyond this one will be delayed! Not to mention we want to see you healthy!

Edit for lost train of thought: at work

[ September 11, 2007: Message edited by: Thallone ]

iluxan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

Hey, man, don't burn out!  I understand it's your job, and I definitely want to see a new version, but coding most of the time with just breaks for meals is not healthy!  Your brain can work a little better if you step away and do other things (although I suggest things other than movies, since that is a very passive activity).

I find that my brain returns to the problem at hand with a new vigor if I take time off, and often I have a renewed sense of purpose - what's most important to do first.  Also, often, some internal inconsistencies that have been lingering in the recesses of your mind will often come out and become obvious.

iluxan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

Oh, yeah, one more note - I noticed on your donation page it says you have to pay 2.9% of each donation as a fee to PayPal.

You might consider opening another "personal" non-business account (with a different checking account behind it), which would accept non-credit card PayPal donations.  This way, you can save on the 2.9% (from those of us who also have PayPal accounts).

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Snogmonkey:
<STRONG>Such a hard worker!  I almost feel bad holding off donating again till the next version(I almost broke down when our Toady's kidneys broke down), but it's getting so close now I can feel it, and I'll feel sooo much better shelling out 50 bucks for DF updates than I did for that travesty they called M2TW:Kingdoms, that I still cannot get to work and want to punch their tech support staff.</STRONG>

Punch some sony employees instead. They are the morons that invented SeCUroM. They managed to ruin both bioshock and m2 with their junk.

In 2002, you pay for games and get viruses for free of the internet.
In 2007, you pay for viruses and get games for free on the internet.

Yes, i pirated both of those games. but only AFTER i PAID for them. Infact, i got more of a game by pirating them then by buying them.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

Yeah, time off is important for the larger ideas.  I got pretty comfortable with how my head works on them from my math days, so I'm mindful of it.  At the same time, most of the revisions recently have been pretty mindless.  The last few things on the list (flow directions and cave-ins) might require a different strategy, depending on how far I end up taking them at this point.

I've received some non-credit card donations at this PayPal account from other PayPal accounts, and it still charges the fee (or a fee of some kind anyway).  It's a "Premier" account, whatever that is.  Maybe I have to look into something.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

iluxan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

That's what I'm saying - once your paypal account is "Merchant", or "Premier" or whatever, PayPal will always charge you the fee.

But if you open another, personal-only account, you won't be able to get credit card donations on that one, but it's free.  Of course, it may not be worth the trouble, since it'll get confusing for the people sending donations, but you'll save 3%.