Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floodgate gate  (Read 858 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
floodgate gate
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:55:02 am »

could i make a larger gate using floodgates for wagons using this:
Code: [Select]
###
.|.
.|.
.|.
###
#=wall
.=ground
|=floodgate

cuz floodgates can't be moved through, and i can link 3 of them to 1 lever. would this work?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: floodgate gate
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:26 am »

It works well for me, though you have to remember sometimes levers take a few seconds. Back it up with a channel to prevent Building Destroyers from bashing through it though.
(Edit: AND A BRIDGE! That'd be rather silly to have a channel without some way to cross it...)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:40 am »

:P off course thx, i didn't know if floodgates were some special thing
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Markusw7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:38:06 am »

I don't know if this happens with everyone but when i play a 3 tile wide path has never been big enough for wagons, i've always had to expand it to 5 tiles so that whe i press T the 3 tiles in the middle are green.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 10:46:42 am »

oh that's logical, that means the weagon's center can be on the green spot, so if you make a 3 space corridor, the middle will be green cuz that's the only place the center of the weagon can reach

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 11:02:30 am »

You only need 3-tile widths. As long as there is a connected path of green W's it's fine. Try it with a closed-off depot, and it should say "Depot Accessible" even if the W's are only one thick.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 11:04:29 am »

totally right  8)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 11:20:02 am »

now i tried it, and it looks cool, the entrance of my fortress is a little guardhouse now next to a bridge  ;D 8)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:44:41 am »

Also you don't actually need 3 floodgates + 1 moat + 1 bridge.
The bridge + moat is enough because the bridge while being raised makes a wall itself.
lowered

_===_
#...#
raised
_   I_
#...#

So make a 3-tile-wide bridge and you've done it!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:54:33 pm »

well, with next to a bridge i meant a bridge from a road on the map :P over the river

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 01:12:43 pm »

I always dig a 4 wide moat (starting with a 2 wide on the inside) and when it is done I build walls on the inside of the moat so they cannot fire arrows. The bridge when raised also finishes the wall.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:35:24 pm »

So archers cannot fire through a raised bridge? I always get nervous about that so I never build them. I build retractable so I can drop them into pits instead.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 06:04:06 pm »

A raised bridge acts as a wall. It won't support anything, but it does block movement and line of sight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:09:28 pm »

It also disrupts pathfinding.  If you post crossbowmen on a wall, then raise the bridge, the goblins will never come to you, they'll just stand there.
Shoes...