Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing a fortress layout...  (Read 849 times)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designing a fortress layout...
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:38:00 am »

My fortress

What do you guys think of it so far?  Hopefully stuff isn't too far from each other?  I'd like to get it all laid out as much as I can so I know how many doors and such I might need.  There is probably not enough room for rocks but I can store the rest outside, I just like having a neat layout.

The bedrooms at the start are the guard stations and the eight bigger bedrooms are the "founders' hall" for the seven original + smith.

There's probably a lot of the game I don't even know about yet such as weapons and channels and such...I just hope I don't forget to make room for something important that I don't know I need yet.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Designing a fortress layout...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 11:41:00 am »

Tip: combine workshops and storage areas together, or at least put them in adjacent rooms. That "goods" stockpile isn't going to be doing a lot of good unless you're going to put all your crafts shops in and around it.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 11:46:00 am »

So knock out most of the walls in the upper and lower areas.  Does one of each workshop not cut it in the later game?  I'm still in my second year and I've never had immigrants before.

[ August 16, 2006: Message edited by: UncleSporky ]

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:00 am »

Really? How far into the second year are you? I thought spring immigrants were pretty much a guarantee.

You probably will  want multiples of some workshop types, yes. You've got a lot of expansion to do if you're on the second year already, though. You might have enough beds there for your first wave of immigrants--but you might not. They can come in groups of 20+. And you might be getting 2 groups in a row soon.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »

Actually...I'm just on the verge of my second year.   :p  And that's not how my fortress looks right now anyway.  My current one is the usual thrown-together one to get you farming and started out, the plans are just for when I move north or south.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

Also a lot of the beds are too close to the workshops, and will have disturbed sleep.  4 squares away minimum.  Also construction noise can carry 16 squares (I hope that doesn't include just placing furniture, although *I* know some movers who can be pretty damn inconsiderate...)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »

Hmm, I thought doors blocked noise.  I edited the layout a little (same link) but now the workshops are even closer to bedrooms.  Not that I care too much about the freeloaders (I can always lock them up) but I'd like my main guys to be happy.

Off to the right I'll have a row of noble rooms, hopefully 5x5.  After that I'm not sure until I hit the river and need to make farms.