Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Gen Times.  (Read 1379 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen Times.
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:26:13 am »

I would just like to know the approximate time DF players had, post the approximate time and the size and the Processor speed.

5 Seconds, Small world, 1.7GHz.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Re: World Gen Times.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 08:08:44 am »

3 seconds, largest size world, 2ghz quad-core.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:17:59 am »

What? I smell heavy bullshitting in this thread.  ;D Ive much better comp than you, and it takes much more time to generate a large world. Even legends take more than 3 second to generate.  ::)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:39:34 am »

3.0 GHz

15-20 minutes on a default large world stopping at around 300

1-2 minutes on a default medium world stopping at around 300

It would take almost an hour for a large world to generate and go to 1050

It would take a couple more minutes for a medium world to generate and go to 1050

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:30 am »

What? I smell heavy bullshitting in this thread.  ;D Ive much better comp than you, and it takes much more time to generate a large world. Even legends take more than 3 second to generate.  ::)

I second this, although I have noticed a marked improvement in my world generation time in these later versions.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:07 am »

Okay Ive generated a large world + legends. The process took like 5 minutes. Everything default no mods:

WorldGen stopped in 300
Hist Figs: 38975
Dead: 19069
Events: 448516

Processor + Op. System:
Intel E8400 processor @ 3.6 Ghz
Vista 64bit

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:10:30 am »

1.8 Ghz

1-5 minutes for a large world, year 150

1-2 minutes for medium.

20-30 seconds for small world.

4-6 for smaller world.

2 seconds for pocket.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:07 am »

My times have come pretty close to Dr. Melon's. Although My large worlds generally take to the upward end of that 5 minutes.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:22:11 am »

1.8 Ghz

1-5 minutes for a large world, year 150

1-2 minutes for medium.

20-30 seconds for small world.

4-6 for smaller world.

2 seconds for pocket.

Weird. If you manage to generate a large world up to year 300 with legends,  how much time it takes totally? My proc is quite decent, and it takes 5 minutes for me to fully generate the world + legends also up to year 300. It should be much slower on your 1.8Ghz.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:03:14 am »

about 12 seconds for large world, 2.66 ghz dual core

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:37:21 am »

about 12 seconds for large world, 2.66 ghz dual core

12 seconds??? What settings? Im generating large in 5 minutes on a 3.6 Ghz dual core.  :o
Are you using Design New World With Parameters?.. also you probably didnt wait for the legend generation That is taking lot of time if its going up to 300+ years.
Weird now Ive generated a world in 2 minutes with legends, but it only went up to year 200.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:41:32 am by Tormy »

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 01:58:26 pm »

If you really want a standard test for world generation times, someone should post a zero-rejects world seed, history seed and name seed for each world size.  Then each player can test their computers against the predetermined seeds.  (This should also help versus the "my world generated in three seconds, but I wasn't counting history generation and happened on a single-reject seed" reports.)

Also, my 2.4GHz quad core machine still takes a few minutes to completely generate a Large world. If someone can find a zero-reject seed for each (or at least a low number) and post those as the standard, I can do a more accurate test later.
Derp.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 02:39:59 pm »

Dual/quad core has no effect on the world gen speed. DF only uses one.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »

If you really want a standard test for world generation times, someone should post a zero-rejects world seed, history seed and name seed for each world size.  Then each player can test their computers against the predetermined seeds.  (This should also help versus the "my world generated in three seconds, but I wasn't counting history generation and happened on a single-reject seed" reports.)

Also, my 2.4GHz quad core machine still takes a few minutes to completely generate a Large world. If someone can find a zero-reject seed for each (or at least a low number) and post those as the standard, I can do a more accurate test later.

Hm now that you mention, I had quite a lot of rejects in the first generation sequence, but only a few in the second one.
Yeah that would be a proper test if everyone would use the same seed.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 03:12:47 pm »

I can generate a 1024x1024 world in half a second.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2