Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and D&D!  (Read 3921 times)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress and D&D!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Most Mary Sues are elves FYI.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Most Mary Sues are elves FYI.</STRONG>

And Demons/dragons/vampires/angels/extinct race

That is using narrative roleplaying and not the D&D roleplaying. Of course, pure verbal(or text) roleplaying is more prone to mary-sues and powerplaying/God-modding.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:00 am »

I've only played D&D seriously once. My uncle was the DM, and he kept getting mad because my halfling thief had some insane saving throws, not to mention that I distictly remember rolling several consecutive 20s.

Overall, it was fun, but we didn't get everything out of it that we could have. My uncle has played before, so he had a good grasp on the roleplay focus. I was younger, and inexperienced. I never quite got past all of the technical stuff in the books enough to actually play. I was thinking about everything mechanically, because that's the mindset all of those rules and rolls and stat bonuses puts you in. Hopefully this summer we might try again; I think I'm finally ready to roleplay, now that I get what it's about.

I think that the biggest thing people need to remember is the message in the front of the D&D Handbook; particularly the part that says that the rules can be changed to produce a better experience for your group (heavy paraphrasing).

If something is too tedious, simplify it for the sake of the game experience. Following the rules too closely can kill the experience.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

In addition to agreeing with everything Dasleah said...

Roll-playing versus role-playing is subjective, a matter of personal preference (admittedly I play Nobilis, so I'm not exactly in the middle).  But not wanting to run a game of Rules Lawyer:  The Whining is hardly the same as being "nazi-retard-caveman!GM" as voiced by subject.

Really, though...

quote:
faggiest

Excuse me?

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>

Pot, kettle, black?

DMing is not a democracy. You don't like what the DM is doing, you get out. And it's called roleplaying, not 'competitive dice hurling' - I would of said the exact same thing if a person's sole justification for playing a particular character was so that they could 'win'. Or, at least, alter the campaign to put them at a significant disadvantage (plenty of non-combat) I hate players who play games like D&D to win. It's not about winning - it's not the destination, it's the journey. It's about how close you came to losing, not how quickly it took you to win. I can't thing of anything more boring than watching a bunch of min/max powergamers and their half-dragon Mary Sues racing to kill the most people and whining like bitches when they have to solve a puzzle or find they can't 'win' because in their idiocy they killed a vital NPC.</STRONG>

You sound like you regularly have really crappy players...  Leo even more so.

So what do you do to people who want to win all the diplomacy, bluff, intimidate, sense motive, and gather information checks to avoid combat completely...

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Oh well, gotta post here, mostly cuz i have been playing DnD for too fucking long and have played all the editions.  and there is no such thing as 1st,2nd,3rd,3.5th, or 4rth edition DnD, they are ADnD.  I remember just DnD and Expert Dnd, then came master and companion and insanity (read - game makers need more money plz buy this pointless supplement full of stuff my 2nd grader at home came up with because we think you need it cuz you have no brains or imagination and cant come up with anything on your own).

ok ok ok getting off the soapbox, i shouldnt even get into this argument, it would go on forever - but i allready have so ---- drat! and double drat!

the only thing that breaks DnD (and any other RPG) are the people PLAYING IT.  Rules, stats, dice, etc are all immaterial.  Any DM who KNOWS what they are doing can control his/her game completely.  You often hear how "players screw up the best laid plans for adventures".  Well, yeah, because your a sorry DM who tried to force a mold on the players who are ROLEPLAYING, a DM is only a RULE LAWYER and Narrator (hint, he decides what the players see,hear,smell, can have any clue about....)  I think that ............*edit*

nullnullEdit:  PLZ Ignore this rant, way off topic and stupid

to the OP -
Rogue - you have skills in trapmaking and profesion mechanics, siege operator, siege engineer, pump operator.  you are a military engineer/sapper.  You make traps for things and blow shit up.

if its 3rd/3.5 ask the Dm to play an NPC Commoner and be a hauler.......lol  thats my BEST suggestion ever I think.

DRUID - pump animal handling skills outta this world. take trap making crafts.  capture dire and mega DnD beasts for training.  be the DF dungeon master

Paladin - your a hammerer working for his/Her Righteous Sovereign _______ (insert name) and are chasing some escaped criminal from the fortress to render unto him/her their punishment - perhaps its that damn engineer who convinced the noble to create that evil "self-propelling-perpetual-motion-pump-windmill" thingy that brought the doom of the gods upon your fortress for meddling with forces beyond the natural ken of dwarves.

another NPC class (noble) - you were next in line for the DF throne, but some evil criminal/assasin (thats you and me folks) duped you out onto a bridge and then pulled a certain lever, but you LIVED and now (while disfigured terribly) you roam the mountains seeking your vengeance upon the fortress' inhabitants.
( I suggest actually doing this to a noble 20-30 times and seeing who lives- gotta make it livable- but with the best wounds/scars - use the combat thingy (cant think of its name suddenly) to see the wounds and base your PC on those).

or be a wizard dwarf ( i know, freakin rare!).  you are at college learning about what kind of stone/flux/ whatever (geology?) can be found in different sediment layers.  You only take stone based spells (or maybe fire for magma) such as stone skin, shape stone, pass stone(wall?), DIG, fabricate, wall of stone, stone spikes (maybe druid only - would have to look at my books but aint gonna :P) and any other spells you have you then RolePlay as if based on stone like - shield: really a stone barrier or Bigby's Crushing Hand (of stone) and you should keep trying to create stone golems (or bronze :P) and you keep telling the other players about all these cool lost fortress' that need RECLAIMING and are full'o'goodies (read 'odd artifacts of somewhat less than usefull purpose')

or...Barbarian - you wield an axe like a maestro, you can chop down trees in single swipes (and haul the damn thing all they way home alone) but you were unable to prevent the accidental flooding of your fortress/home(by water/magma) while you were out chopping.  It was no doubt caused by that damn infernal perpetual motion pump thingy you heard about (hmmm i am sensing a commonality here in my reasoning) and now you roam the world with your axe, angry and homeless.

as you see, the mechanics of the class and skills and feats are REALLY less important than the story (or ROLE) you are going to play in the game.

I'm tired of typing now and  i'm cringing at the soon to come internet blast directed towards me for this post......

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm:
Oh well, gotta post here, mostly cuz i have been playing DnD for too fucking long

Tangent alert!

Gorjo, I do believe that I played D&D with you when I lived in Dallas.  Do you remember Sir Oolean and his goat?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Holy Freakin Crap Batman!
That was like, 10 years ago or something like that!

You and that damned goat!

Not too mention the vertigo suffering elven archer named Deadeye (wasnt he melee only also  lol)

Dude i still talk about some of the games you ran, and those damn damn damn way to organized militaristic goblins.....:P

where u at?  I have tried to look u up on the net a few times, but seems like a lot of peeps out there with a similar name to yours (in RL).

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Dammit, I was hoping you'd forget about Deadeye  :)  So we don't de-rail this thread anymore, I sent you a PM.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Best suggestion: hauler. I love it.

And as for the D&D thing, I think any game can be run and played under any game system. But the system will influence gameplay - this is obvious, right?

OD&D: Simple, still close to a wargame.
1E AD&D: Sudden ballooning of fiddly rules, but you could ignore a lot of them. Really complicated. Bridge books like Oriental Adventures and Unearthed Arcana led to 2E. But some were way overpowered (like Oriental Adventures).
2E AD&D: Slightly refined rules, a lot of sourcebooks that dramatically sped power creep (Elves Handbook). A lot of information was republished (Boxed set of the North = Volo's Guide to the North).
Skills and Powers AD&D: Awful power creep, institutionalized min-maxing.
3E D&D: Revamped rules, encouraged leet play and badassery, let a mediocre DM run a decent game but a good DM had to work harder to run a good game. Too many sourcebooks, too much power creep. Really complicated (Grapple). A lot of information was just republished from previous sources (Arms and Equipment Guide = Aurora's Catalogue).
3.5E D&D: Patched a few horrible exploits but left ten times as many others.
4E: Revamped rules. Not D&D anymore, more like an MMORPG. Lost many (most?) of the D&D tropes - you might as well go play a different game. Caters to people who use combat as the point of the game.

My point was, the OP asked what he should play to make his character like a Dwarf Fortress dwarf. That doesn't require you to use ANY game rules! You don't need to maniacally stack and buff, just decide how you're going to play. Tenebrous and Heph had it right. I guess I was really just responding to Dareon.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

I arranged it so I'm playing a trap-maker, basically. I'm using a rogue-like class from some sourcebook the DM and I found (instead of sneak attack though, it gets a ton of extra skills applications and skill points) - so basically, I'm one of those dwarves you order around to create crazy traps that end up destroying half of your own fortress.

Yes, yes - I'm aware 'creating crazy traps that destroy half of your fortress...and oh yeah, the goblins, too' is not, technically, a skillset, but it is one of the funnest parts of the game.

Though, some of the suggestions above were useful and amusing. Such as the hauler suggestion - though the earlier (and more serious) suggestions were very practically useful, too.

I have also worked out alchohaul dependency with my DM, rather then those silly non-dwarves whom seem to rely on water.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

There's a "combat trapsmith" prestige class in Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel, I forget which.  Might we worth looking into.

I <3 power creep, but then again, I am once again back in the DM's chair after years of refusing to run a real life game.  Thus I have the ultimate say over whether or not a thing is legal, and it often isn't.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LeoLeonardoIII:
<STRONG>Best suggestion: hauler. I love it.
</STRONG>

thanks!  sometimes i get hit by genious. (really really hard, in the balls)

my fav chars usually started out as normal no power pc's, they are the best. :P

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

I don't believe D&D could properly handle the setting of Dwarf Fortress. Unless you made extensive use of the Unearthed Arcana supplement, with the Injury replacing HP and 'generic class' rules.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

Maybe multiclass Barbarian and Rogue, for skills and tantruming?

Might be slightly off topic, but what do you guys think about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for Dwarf Fort.  As I recall, there are plenty of ways to have 'fun' in that system, many of them rather graphic/horrific.

"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3