Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and D&D!  (Read 3923 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress and D&D!
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

So.

I have a DM whom is putting a dwarven mountainhall in his campaign explicitly from Dwarf Fortress.   Complete with obsidian goblin towers and undead elephants.
I am going to create a dwarf from this site - level 5, if any of you know d&d lingo.

My question to you, Oh Dwarf Fortress Fanatics...anyone have any suggestions for a  d&d character class/build that would most resemble one of our zany Dwarf Fortress Dwarves and all the crazy stuff they do?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress and D&D!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Well, with the next release one could run a campaign completely based on a generated world. It would be in wayts more complete than any other setting on the market, as every NPC will have a complete history, since their first ancestors.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

A typical Dwarf Fortress dwarf build would probably be very high-cost in terms of skill points.  High ranks in about 80% of the Profession and Craft skills, with Hide, Move Silently, and Swim thrown in for variety.  That's if you wanted to try building a dwarf with all labors turned on.

Some potential builds (Note that I assume you're playing 3.5, I don't have enough experience with 4E yet to advise on it):

Hunter: Ranger, Hide/MS, Craft (Leatherworking), Profession (Taxidermist), Trophy Collector (Player's Handbook II).  Although you may need to work with your DM to work out a crossbow style, and I'm not aware of any weapon modifications that let you use a crossbow as a hammer.  You could stick a bayonet on it, though, Complete Scoundrel has those rules.  Trophy Collector would even let you make +elf leather boots+.

Wrestler: Monk/Drunken Master/Reaping Mauler (Both Prestige Classes from Complete Warrior).  Only problem here is the lack of armor.

Most weapon-users fall into the general Fighter mold, although you may get an interesting option on a dwarf's martial trance with Barbarian.

Edit: Trapper/Mechanic: Rogue (Or Ranger with a substitute class feature available in Dungeonscape), Craft (Trapmaking), Trapsmith (Dungeonscape PrC), Combat Trapsmith (Complete Scoundrel PrC).

Also from Dungeonscape, the Beast Heart Adept specializes in taming fantastical beasts. ...Meaning you could play a Dungeon Master.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Dareon Clearwater ]

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Has any change been made to grappling rules?  Cause otherwise a typical Throwerdwarf/Goblin Drunk fight would take hours.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

DF tabletop games work much better with the QAGS system.  Anyone around here remember my campaign last summer/fall? GOOD TIMES.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

Dareon gives some good advice for a Fortress Dwarf... But how about asking your DM to be an Adventurer Dwarf?  :)

The natural course of action for such a character would be to pursue the OLD Exotic Weapon Master prestige class from Masters of the Wild (3.0). I can think of no other build which could possibly do as much damage throwing water and kobold feet as a DF adventurer does.

Besides that... I don't think the basics of your character build (besides Race = Dwarf) would matter nearly as much as the character flavour you provide. Give your character a pick, and provide as much surly attitude and strange mania as you like (you could pick a random DF Dwarf to copy 'traits' from).

Also, don't forget Rule Zero! Just ask your DM to sit down with you and hammer out (heh) some house rules for Alcohol Dependency and CAVE_ADAPT. Spending feats and class levels to booze and vomit is just silly when "god" is on your side.  :D

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:35:00 pm »

Well i think D&D isnt the right ssystem for an DF like Dwarf Character. I think a Dwarf in "The Dark Eye (ED 4)" would be a better portrait of Urist McUrist. Anyway if  i had to create a DF dwarf in D&D ("dungeons and dragons" right?) i would take a Multiclassed Dwarf with Warrior and Barbarian profession.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>DF tabletop games work much better with the QAGS system.  Anyone around here remember my campaign last summer/fall? GOOD TIMES.</STRONG>

OCH! THAT WAS AWESOME, LASS!

Seriously, though, great times...

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>DF tabletop games work much better with the QAGS system.  Anyone around here remember my campaign last summer/fall? GOOD TIMES.</STRONG>

How could we?
I used to DM a bit, and I did plan to make a mountainhall dungeons. Complete with omnious engraving and mysterious levers. I never got to unleash it on the group, though.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

I can't stand how prestige classes and feats ruined D&D in 3rd edition.

Player: I wanna play a gestalt thri-kreen (ghost vampire draconic infernal paragon enlightened ascendant)  Swordsage/Heavenly Mauler/Hulking Hurler/Warlock
DM: Um. How would you play that?
Player: Well the Warlock Eldritch Blast would power up this giant iridium sword with mercury in it for the higher critical, and I'd throw it and -
DM: No, I mean, how does that character think? Why would you be adventuring with humans and stuff? Wh-
Other players: We're not doing humans. *Babble ensues on the comparative merits of Genasi and Earthborn).
DM: *frown*
DM: So you guys just want to roll dice and do lots of damage? Is that seriously the game you want to play?
Players (each): Heck yeah! As long as I'm doing more damage than him! *Pointing to another player*
DM: OK guys that's it, we're going back to first edition. Pick a race and a class, and let's get started.

EDIT: Play a Dwarf Thief, make Dexterity your highest stat then Intelligence, and take a bunch of ranks in a single Craft of your choice. Stone and Metal crafts are good picks because Dwarves get +2 with them. And since the Craft skill is based on Intelligence, you'll get nice bonuses from that too. Take your 5th level in Aristocrat and have him dress entirely in purple. Figure out what he likes and dislikes, because that'll determine what mandates he makes later :P

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: LeoLeonardoIII ]

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

While I don't want to get in a nerdy 1st/2nd edition vs 3rd/4th edition fight I have to say the above post is the faggiest and most skewed thing I've ever seen and if I had a DM talk like that to me I'd never hang out with him ever again.

*Makes chat log with caricatures of people I disagree with*
DM: BLrgh okay we play 1st edition because it less pwoergamey *sucks down mtn dew*
Players: But we-
DM: SILENCE! We play 1st edition because  it less about rolling dice and damage and more about roelplay! *pulls cheeseburger from beneath armpit and eats it*
Player: Okay... I'll be a elf-
DM: NO! why elf adventure with stupid humons! make human! *stabs a nearby rat with his spork and begins to mircrowave it*
Player: Can I play an half-orc?
DM: *leans in close to him and latches onto his head and swallows him whole like a snake*
DM: Okay, you in rock tunnel there monsters here. *takes rat from microwave and eats it* Rocks fall you all die!

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

I think that the situation in anti-3-edition post is really stupid. I have never played with dumb players, and mediocre players with small part of imagination usually can decide which prestige class suits them and how to roleplay it properly.

The last post is "too much" too, it reminds me those stupid DnD jokes about stupid players.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Ehh there is no single thing that ruined Dungeons and dragons and it is hardly Prestiege classes that ruined it.

Though ignoring all other faults... Dungeons and Dragons main overarcing fault is simple that it is too popular for its own good.

Now I know what your saying: "There is no such thing as too popular"... and I shall give you an example

Now lets say that the Pen and Paper world was a Kitchen where everyday you would get something to eat but you had no choice over what you were fed.

Every Day they would feed you Dungeons and Dragons non-stop for all meals. Once a week they would give you something different for one meal.

So you get tired and say "Hey I am going to cook now" but you realise that all the players are in dungeons and dragons fridge so you can't get anything else. So your stuck starving over a pea of Whitewolf or you can make yourself some more Dungeons and dragons.

and that is why Dungeons and dragons is too popular.

Though I think the second most popular after that is Shadowrun...

Myself I dislike both Shadowrun and Dungeons and Dragons (Shadowrun can change but Dungeons and dragons cannot). If you dislike them both then your not going to get very many games.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Remember when this thread was about helping the OP with his character instead of being a bunch of neerks(nerd+geek+jerk)and fighting about stuff no one cares about?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>While I don't want to get in a nerdy 1st/2nd edition vs 3rd/4th edition fight I have to say the above post is the faggiest and most skewed thing I've ever seen and if I had a DM talk like that to me I'd never hang out with him ever again.

*Makes chat log with caricatures of people I disagree with*
DM: BLrgh okay we play 1st edition because it less pwoergamey *sucks down mtn dew*
Players: But we-
DM: SILENCE! We play 1st edition because  it less about rolling dice and damage and more about roelplay! *pulls cheeseburger from beneath armpit and eats it*
Player: Okay... I'll be a elf-
DM: NO! why elf adventure with stupid humons! make human! *stabs a nearby rat with his spork and begins to mircrowave it*
Player: Can I play an half-orc?
DM: *leans in close to him and latches onto his head and swallows him whole like a snake*
DM: Okay, you in rock tunnel there monsters here. *takes rat from microwave and eats it* Rocks fall you all die!

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]</STRONG>

quote:
While I don't want to get in a nerdy 1st/2nd edition vs 3rd/4th edition fight I have to say the above post is the faggiest and most skewed thing I've ever seen and if I had a DM talk like that to me I'd never hang out with him ever again.

Pot, kettle, black?

DMing is not a democracy. You don't like what the DM is doing, you get out. And it's called roleplaying, not 'competitive dice hurling' - I would of said the exact same thing if a person's sole justification for playing a particular character was so that they could 'win'. Or, at least, alter the campaign to put them at a significant disadvantage (plenty of non-combat) I hate players who play games like D&D to win. It's not about winning - it's not the destination, it's the journey. It's about how close you came to losing, not how quickly it took you to win. I can't thing of anything more boring than watching a bunch of min/max powergamers and their half-dragon Mary Sues racing to kill the most people and whining like bitches when they have to solve a puzzle or find they can't 'win' because in their idiocy they killed a vital NPC.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.
Pages: [1] 2 3