Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Screen  (Read 679 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Screen
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:20:24 am »

I love Dwarf Fortress and Toady, but this game has to have the worst interface of any game I've ever played, and I've been playing videogames for 20 years. Even after months of playing this, there are still parts of the interface that confuse me. If Toady wants to make money off of this game, he really should clean it up; he'd get alot more players.

That being said....

My latest problem is with the military screen. I have the usual glut of 'More Immigrants then I can ever possibly Need' - since all I'm doing right now is farming and making stonework. I'm trying t form a squad led by Aban, with Alath and Mebzuth also in it. Unfortunately, Bomrek /REFUSES/ to leave it.

I've tried just hitting enter on Aban to put him in his own squad with the other two; but that doesn't seem to work. (I just tried following the instructions; I hit enter on Aban, then Alath and then Bebzuth, then space) - but when I activate, the bastard Bomrek is still in it.

http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=worstinterfaceevertq8.png

What can I do to get Bomrek out? I tried looking at the wiki entry for this already.

Also: I'm totally going to get flamed for this....

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Screen
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:24:12 am »

Assign Bomrek to a different squad.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:26:26 am »

Doesn't work, the others go right with him.

You know what, @#!#() it. Nevermind. While the dwarves were stuck on unactivated (Bomrek is a crucial farmer) they got mining skill, so now they are useless to me as soldiers; as they'll practice wrestling with pickaxes now and just smash each other to bits.

UUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:30:02 am by lastofthelight »

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:31:22 am »

Is Bomrek the squad leader?  If so, assign every squad member he has assigned to him, as well as he himself, to the squad leader you actually want, then reassign him out of the squad into another;.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:49 am »

Yeah, the indirect method worked; Bomrek had to be part of another squad and then his members transferred out of his command and into no general squad; I couldn't just do it directly.

Thanks!

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:29 am »

Go into their labor screen and deselect the "mining" skill.  After a bit they'll drop the pickaxes and you can activate them again.

As for the squad screen its a bit confusing at first and I had some problems with it too (and I scoured the wiki from front to back before I even started playing!)

Pressing enter on a dwarf selects that dwarf for promotion and to place other dwarves under him in his squad.  To stop promoting or select another dwarf for promotion you have to press space and press enter on another one.  To take a dwarf out of a squad you have to promote that dwarf... to his own squad.
Take care if you've made subsquads.  Then you first have to promote them to their own subsquad and once more to their own squad.

I hope that helps.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:46:51 am »

flame flame flame!
that aside the military screen presented a huge problem for me when i wanted to individually ditch those men with damaged spines or brain problems or whatnot and i learned that you need to give said recruit his own squad.
I haven't actually read through the answers or most of the problem but i am sure i helped in some way

I didn't did I?

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 07:42:01 am »

I think one way you can do it is to "promote" the members you want to remove into with itself (hit enter twice on the same member).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 07:47:37 am »

No one thought to kill Bomrek?
Shoes...

jjv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:05:40 pm »

What these helpful people are trying to say is that in order to remove a dwarf from a squad you need to make him a squad of his own. Press enter twice on the dwarf in the military screen thus making him (her/it) effectively his own leader. This works unless the dwarf is the squad leader where the only way to disconnect him from all the other dwarves is to remove each and every underling individually.

That sounded awfully complicated, but I personally kinda like the archaic interface. Some parts of it do need work though, *cough*disarminggoblins*cough*.

JJ

PS Hmm, spellchecker doesn't like the word dwarves.