Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swapping weapons  (Read 933 times)

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swapping weapons
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:12:54 pm »

This is a really basic question. How do I equip a weapon? This cyclops stomped me and my party, he threw me and made me lose my axe. I could pick it up, I just couldn't figure out how to wield it. I ended up taking off my armor piece-by-piece and throwing it at him. Of course, I died.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:19:53 pm »

If you have an empty hand and pick up an item, it goes to that hand.  So drop what you currently are wielding, drop the axe then pick up the axe.

I don't know any easier way.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:58:28 pm »

Note that if your hand is broken, you can't hold anything in it, afaik.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:12:13 pm »

yeah broken hands cant hold anything, also if you have a free hand and go [r]emove an item, it'll be put in that hand.

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:49:28 pm »

Note also occasionally I've encountered a game hiccup that puts a weapon in my backpack instead of in my hand, so make sure that hasn't happened.  Dropping it again and picking it up turned the trick, but I'm still not sure how that occurred.  As long as you have a free non-broken hand, "g" should work fine.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:57:43 am »

Also if you don't want the drop-take trick, you can just "r"emove the weapon from your backpack while one of your hands is empty.

So the easiest way to swap 2 weapons is:
1)[p]ut your current weapon (in hand) in your backpack
2)[r]emove the desired weapon from your backpack (it goes into your empty hand).

P.S. In case you don't know, if your weapon is stuck in an opponent you can try to retrieve it.
If you're still holding it, press [ i ], select your weapon (it's red because is considered as inventory item of you and the enemy at the same time) and choose to gain the possession of it.
If you've lost the possession of the item you should grab (wrestling) it with a free hand and then repeat the above trick ([ i ]->gain possession).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:00:15 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository