Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Family Names  (Read 569 times)

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Family Names
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »

Since a rewrite of the name system is up, I thought I'd give my 2*. So far, individuals have last names, but not family names. Let's be frank. All those names in the Legends screen make it pretty difficult to make heads or tails of whose related to who. And so far, the fact that someone is the son, father, or husband of someone else means rather little. If we have family names, we'd be able to immediately recognize relationships between other people "Oh, you're Fimruk Dangerpants? Any relation to Ultor Dangerpants?".

In a broader sense, it'd also allow us to group historical figures into family groups, which you can then do the crazy stuff with that you like to do. I understand this kinda opens a can of worms, like who exactly inherits last names, maiden names, when people adopt new family names, and so forth, but it would definitely be worth it.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Family Names
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:21:06 pm »

Hm... there could also be a setting under civilization to track whether family name is tracked through maternal or paternal line (matriarch or patriarch society).  Or even a system similar to the Spanish one (Kids gets two surnames, are the first surname listed for their parents).  The order of the surname could also be determined whether its paternal or maternal line(which ever surname listed second will be lost by the next generation). 
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:22:18 pm »

Is the naming system changing? Would be welcome, it's a bit odd to have a clothier called "Minegood".
I mine, unless he's the blacksheep of a family of good miners.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

I like this idea. Also, I've noticed some dwarven las names that seem to be first names with a suffix added, like "Momulzub" or something (can't remember any specifics.) This could be turned into a convention of naming after your father, like McMurphy, Ivanovich, ibn Ali, etc
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus