Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legends measuring more than lethality.  (Read 2361 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Legends measuring more than lethality.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 08:52:40 am »

Pun-Pun in the mean time buffs himself to godhood, then proceeds to beat the crap out of your Pun-Pun.
That's correct, if by "buffs himself to godhood" you mean "is still trying to gain the needed levels", and by "beat the crap out of" you mean, "gets the crap beaten out of him by"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:13:06 pm »

Already said he was level 5, but I will give you props for getting Pun-Pun at level 1.  Except that you can't take 10 on a knowledge check.  And that as a fallen paladin you can't cast spells and cannot use magic items granted from being a divine spell caster (such as the Candle of Invocation).  AND just because you summon a sarrukh doesn't mean it'll make you Pun-Pun.

Why paladin, and what's the last candle for?

However, assuming that it does work I put forth a first level artificer, 3 mules, a bucket of water, and a large rock.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:30:37 pm by Draco18s »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 03:12:39 pm »

Already said he was level 5, but I will give you props for getting Pun-Pun at level 1.  Except that you can't take 10 on a knowledge check.  And that as a fallen paladin you can't cast spells and cannot use magic items granted from being a divine spell caster (such as the Candle of Invocation).  AND just because you summon a sarrukh doesn't mean it'll make you Pun-Pun.

Why paladin, and what's the last candle for?

However, assuming that it does work I put forth a first level artificer, 3 mules, a bucket of water, and a large rock.
Yes, you can take 10 on knowledge checks.  Not 20, but 10.  Paladin is because Pazuzu really loves tempting paladins, and it's noted he won't twist the first wish he grants them (because what's the point of trying to tempt someone into falling if they know you'll just screw up the wish?)

Candles of invocation don't require class levels or spellcasting to be used.  Summoning a sarrukh with the candle duplicates gate, forcing it to do your bidding for 17 rounds - certainly long enough to get, say, manipulate form, terrasque regeneration, and the Aleax's Singular enemy ability (only Pun-Pun can damage Pun-Pun).  Your planeshift should take you to the Far Realms, which has a time ratio of infinity there to 0 anywhere else, which makes the entire ascension take about 3 rounds.  The last candle is just in case you want something else (non-native to Toril, want to be attuned to the plane, not actually a kobold.  Stuff like that.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:14:29 pm by Qmarx »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:35:14 pm »

And "Taking 10" is for tasks that have a time duration to them.  It represents taking your time and doing something carefully and reliably.  Knowledge checks are "you know it or you don't, no action taken."

Either way my level 1 artificer still wins.  He doesn't even kill or other wise injure Pun-Pun, so your Singular Enemy is useless.

Diplomacy of Infinity.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »

And "Taking 10" is for tasks that have a time duration to them.  It represents taking your time and doing something carefully and reliably.  Knowledge checks are "you know it or you don't, no action taken."

Either way my level 1 artificer still wins.  He doesn't even kill or other wise injure Pun-Pun, so your Singular Enemy is useless.

Diplomacy of Infinity.
Diplomacy doesn't work on PCs.

Also, to quote the rules
Taking 10

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

Besides, the omniscificer can't ascend until (I believe) level five.

I was part of the Pun-Pun development "team".  I am knowings what I am talkings abouts.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:36:17 pm by Qmarx »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 07:47:42 pm »

I'll just ignore the long chain of OT posts ::)

I think it's a good idea. Thieves could have 'items stolen' or maybe item VALUE stolen so it would differentiate between stealing a pig tail sock and a gem encrusted platinum scepter. Snatchers would have children snatched like you said.

All the crafting type characters could have number of masterpieces produced, that way the number won't be quite so huge (imagine how many items a dwarf who lives for over 100 years could produce?), plus producing 100 crappy items isn't really as memorable as producing a collection of masterworks.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »

Yes, as fascinating as it is watching random bouts of a game no one will tell me the rules to is, the original suggestion is good, especially the "fought in [battle]" part.  That would make following a warrior through legends mode a lot easier.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:26 pm »

I like both the OP's idea and A.V.'s additions. One thought on the "went to fight at [x battle]" part; perhaps it could instead say "was victorious/defeated at [x battle]"?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »

Taking 10

In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

You're character doesn't know the DC of the knowledge check needed, and doesn't know how far his knowledge extends, and doesn't know what he's trying to know until he rolls the die.  HE CAN NOT take an average roll as there is nothing to indicate to him that he might fail on a poor roll.

I'm almost certain Wizards has made a note that taking 10 only applies to skills that allow a re-roll.  Though their FAQ system isn't helping right now, it's giving me only 4E junk.

Also: if Pun-Pun is a PC, the GM should be shot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:19 pm »

quick fix : Mob rules shouldn't allow all 200+people to fight at once

No it is more then possible for 200 people to fight at once... It is just that not all 200 of them will be of any importance due to the flow of battle or actually do anything.

However that would be a point of limiting returns.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »

Are you sure you're not playing a game of Mornington Crescent.

I think giving stats to thieves and craftmen will need to wait for whatever arc deals with items (at least for value stolen; do world gen items bear any quality or decorations?) but people are already consistent so I hope it'd be easy to put in "children stolen".
Thoughts about "went to war and lost"; I think it should be split into two statements, otherwise it would tell you he lost the battle before it tells you he got shot and devoured, which just seems odd to me.

Do titles come from kills alone at the moment? I've heard names are going to be looked at, so maybe that could be altered to recognize great snatchers/thieves/craftsmen.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:56 pm »

No taking 10 on knowledge checks. If you really want to debate it there are kindly people here http://www.enworld.org/ who would be glad to.  ;D
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »

Also, I wish to appologize for derailing the thread with a slight joke.  I didn't mean for it to turn into a pissing contest for the most broken 3.5 build ever.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 10:49:20 pm »

Also, I wish to appologize for derailing the thread with a slight joke.  I didn't mean for it to turn into a pissing contest for the most broken 3.5 build ever.

If anyone should apologize, it would be me.

I'm not actually sorry though.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 12:01:09 am »

No taking 10 on knowledge checks.

Just to throw one last aside on, you can Take 10 on any skill check, anywhere, so long as you aren't "under pressure" (or so long as the skill doesn't say you can't, like UMD).

This includes Knowledge, Craft (Basketweaving), Disable Device, Tumble, Perform, etc.

And I'll meet you on ENWorld to discuss it, if you want.  I'm Patryn of Elvenshae, there.  :)
Patryn of Elvenshae
Pages: 1 [2] 3