Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Legends measuring more than lethality.  (Read 2367 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends measuring more than lethality.
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:18:19 pm »

Currently, the only achievement tally at the bottom of a creature's legends screen is death-toll, which is hardly fair for thieves or snatchers who should measure success in not needing to kill things. So I'm suggesting that there should be two other categories; number of items and children stolen. I guess this could extend to plants grown and clothes made if the other trades are ever fleshed out, but that may be too boring.

And while I'm throwing these out, how about adding a "went to fight at [x battle], so battles shows up for everyone involved rather than just the two who led the forces.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends measuring more than lethality.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »

This would be especially useful for tracking megabeast encounters... People might stop complaining so much when they realized that while yes, all the dragons died in 70 years, it's because they attacked 200+ person towns.

(On that note, quick fix : Mob rules shouldn't allow all 200+people to fight at once... How many people with pitchforks can you get around a dragon, anyway?)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:34:31 pm »

How many people with pitchforks can you get around a dragon, anyway?
Eight.  One in each adjacent tile. 

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:52:48 pm »

I think that the answer is more in line with angels and pinheads...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:54:56 pm »

...How many pinheads does it take to kill an angel?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »

But then you can have an infinite amount of them prone under the first eight, right?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:18 pm »

But then you can have an infinite amount of them prone under the first eight, right?

Yeah, but they take a -4 to hit and grant Combat Advantage.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:57 pm »

If they have the racial trait of Swarm Tactics they'll do an infinite amount of damage with a huge to hit modifier. It all balances out.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Arbitrary Value

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

Why not also have purely fluff achievements in the legends?  For example we can have a dwarf who climbed the mountain "The Glacial Peak" or an elf who wrote the poem "The Violent Balls of Breakfast."  There would be a list of such fluff accomplishments in the raws, the way that there is now a list of things that can be engraved, and occasionally a historical figure would be randomly assigned one of these accomplishments.  They wouldn't affect the progress of history in any way, but they would flesh out historical figures.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:34 pm »

If they have the racial trait of Swarm Tactics they'll do an infinite amount of damage with a huge to hit modifier. It all balances out.

That'd work against a dragon, but what about a shambling mound that has been hit with lighning once a round every round for the last 1000 years?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:19:45 am »

That'd work against a dragon, but what about a shambling mound that has been hit with lighning once a round every round for the last 1000 years?
Bah, what would that do against a semi-competent kobold paladin?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:51:13 am »

Bah, what would that do against a semi-competent kobold paladin?

And, pray tell, what might does he have against a Kobold Divine Minion 1, Wizard 1 (viper familar), Master of Many Forms 3?

Though, that shambling mound has no less than 12 billion (temporary) con...

Tacroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:14:18 am »

Actually, what the kobold paladin does is make a DC 25 knowledge (planes) check (pretty trivial since you can take 10 on knowledge - it is in fact doable at level 1) to remember that if you speak Pazuzu's name thrice, he grants you a wish in exchange for moving towards chaotic evil. The pally wishes for a Candle of Invocation, falls from paladinhood, and uses the Candle to summon an efreeti. He then has the efreeti use two wishes for more Candles of Invocation, and the third to move the paladin to another plane. The pally then uses one candle of invocation to summon a Sarrukh, and becomes Pun-Pun because nobody at WOTC looked at the Sarrukh before publishing that damn thing.

And I'm only slightly embarrassed that I know this.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 02:04:46 am »

Pun-Pun in the mean time buffs himself to godhood, then proceeds to beat the crap out of your Pun-Pun.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 03:37:06 am »

Well, this got off-topic quickly. I'm taking that as UNANIMOUS APPROVAL and no one can stop me.
A.V., that sounds good and would be like the goblin's murder for other races; it seems unfair that goblins are the only one's who will near-automatically get a title.
Pages: [1] 2 3