Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guide for editing graphics, with picture!  (Read 577 times)

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guide for editing graphics, with picture!
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:16:00 am »

The colors have been changed, and the ´and `characters have been slightly edited. I appreciate Master Toady the First for the game, but I don't like it's looks. I'm sure there are others like me in here. Here is a simple guide for editing Dwarf Fortress with Notepad and Paint or other similar programs.

This very short guide describes how to change the basic colors and the basic symbols used in the game. With the help of this guide you can e.g. give your dwarves moustache, or make beds look different, or make water and fisherdwarves brighter blue, or make brown of worked wood visible against different backgrounds. You can't, however change anything other than broad categories. You can't give nobles moustache without giving it to every dwarf, and you can't change water without changing blue dwarves and objects.

Editing colors:
1) go to Dwarf Fortress main directory
2) open Data, then Init
3) copy file named init.txt, perhaps shown only as init, and name the copy e.g. originalinit.txt or originalinit .
4) Open init.txt in Notepad or other text viewer. In the end of the file, there are three lines for every color used in Dwarf Fortress.
5) Open MS Paint, or some other simple graphics editor.
6) If you use MS Paint, from the toolbar, choose Color - Edit Color. Then go to the advanced settings.

In the picture, I edited the words for red, green and blue in over the Finnish words. That's where you put the correspondent colors. You see the result in the box marked in the image.
7) Now, change the colors! I'll use Cyan as an example.
[CYAN_R:0]
[CYAN_G:255]
[CYAN_B:255]

In MS Paint, write 0 in the Red: box and 255 in Green: and Blue: boxes. Then start changing the numbers. R:0, G:160, B:160 might be all right for a less bright Cyan. So might R:25, G:200, B:200. Try different things. When you like the color you see, replace the old values in the init.txt with the values of the color you want.
8) Test. If it doesn't look good, change the color back, or into something new. If Dwarf Fort stops working, you still have the init.txt you copied in the beginning, and name that back into init.txt, voiding all changes.

Editing symbols:
1) From your Dwarf Fortress directory, go to Data, then Art.
2) There are too image files in art folder, curses_640x300.bmp and curses_800x600.bmp . Copy the file you will edit. Smaller resolution is used in windowed, the larger in full screen. It is also possible to use 800x600 font in windowed more if you change the settings.
3) Open the image you will edit in Ms Paint.
4) Find the symbol you want to change, and change it. Erase with magenta, add with pure white. There are borders between the symbols, but they aren't shown. Keep it simple.
5) When you are finished, save the file, and launch Dwarf Fortress. If nothing seems to have changed, check if you edited the wrong file. If the game doesn't work,

Janne )`*

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guide for editing graphics, with picture!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:38:00 am »

Wow! Thanks, I can't wait to try this out. I wanna change the bushes so that they stick out a little more. The double quote character ( " ) looks too much like regular dirt imho. My only concern is, if I change that, it'll mess up any other place the game uses double quotes. Does anyone know any other objects that use them?

Another thought occurs: if you change animal symbols ( ie, letters ), will it screw up the regular text of the game? If you say, changed c to a picture of a cat, will "c: View Announcements" turn into "*cat*: View Announ*cat*ments"? @_@

[ August 16, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GauHelldragon:
<STRONG>Wow! Thanks, I can't wait to try this out. I wanna change the bushes so that they stick out a little more. The double quote character ( " ) looks too much like regular dirt imho. My only concern is, if I change that, it'll mess up any other place the game uses double quotes. Does anyone know any other objects that use them?

Another thought occurs: if you change animal symbols ( ie, letters ), will it screw up the regular text of the game? If you say, changed c to a picture of a cat, will "c: View Announcements" turn into "*cat*: View Announ*cat*ments"? @_@

[ August 16, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]</STRONG>

I'd like to know this too.  Otherwise the only safe symbols would be ones not used in normal text, although a lot of them could even mess up the opening movie, too.

I've heard you can also change the size of the tiles and change the game resolution accordingly in one of the files.  Someone made a slightly bigger res set with the beards on the dwarves like in full screen.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 12:36:00 pm »

Right now, it's just an extended ASCII type display, so a T is a T and a , is a ,.  So changing one changes them all.  It's not easy to change -- if I allow more pictures I might as well write it for tiles, which would take a long time to support.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Right now, it's just an extended ASCII type display, so a T is a T and a , is a ,.  So changing one changes them all.  It's not easy to change -- if I allow more pictures I might as well write it for tiles, which would take a long time to support.</STRONG>

Indeed. In the screenshot above, the type of grass that was originally ´ also appeared in e.g. Craftdwarf´s workshop etc. I did manage to change it into something that I like better and that doesn't make screen too cluttered. It isn't as easy as I had thought, though.

Janne )`*