Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF WIKI DOWN  (Read 2770 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: DF WIKI DOWN
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Senso:
<STRONG>Huh, I don't know what happened, I seemed to have been locked out from my hosting account without notice. The DF wiki is down but all my other websites are down too.

The hosting company (Apis Networks, which is goon-run) did not monitor my bandwitdh since I've had the account but recently, they started doing it. I have a 45GB/month limit and I busted it 10 days. I never thought the wiki would be so popular and so bandwitdh-hungry.

It's probably going to cost me MUCH more to keep it up now so I'm not sure what I can do. I'm talking with the hosting guys.

I'll keep you all updated as soon as I get more info. Sorry for the troubles.</STRONG>

First, thanks a ton for the DF Wiki. It makes playing the game so much better.

I hope they have a good solution for your huge bandwidth increases -- one that's not too expensive. Maybe you could ask for donations or something. As much as I rely on it, I'd be willing to help.

Thanks again, if any game on the Internet needs a wiki it's this one!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 06:41:00 am »

If push comes to shove we could always migrate the DFWiki to something like Wikia. It's not perfect, I know, but at least it abstracts away all the hosting and bandwidth stuff to be someone else's problem.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

It wouldn't help with the current situation, but I know that the DFwiki could be made so that it uses less bandwidth. Possibly even significantly less.

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>
Glad to see you're still here. In my n00b days you have been quite helpful. Was wondering why I didn't see anymore 'check the wiki' posts (with a correct link, always)</STRONG>

I got busy. That quality typically decreases in the summer.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Wikia will only allow you to put up a wiki if there is a prerequisite amount of demand, and will delete it if no-one visits the site.
Since you had the opposite problem, then I think wikia would love to host it for you.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

Wikia Gaming does already have an -entry- for DF, at least. http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarf_Fortress

(forgive the modifiers on entry... I'm used to using that for emphasis in chat. It does not denote superior quality)

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

Well considering how fast the 3d version wiki got fleshed out when we archived the old one I imagine we could recreate it all at wikia fairly fast. (especially with that handy javascript m2775 posted)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Senso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://lendemaindeveille.com
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

Good news, I've paid my bill to the hosting company for the extra bandwidth - they're only charging for this month, $15 extra. I've asked for an extra 40GB/month (for 6$ more) so I'll have a total bandwidth of 65GB/month. If you guys burn through that, I will be pissed.

(Not really)

So I'll be paying about $15/month for the site, it's not too bad after all. I won't ask for donations but I may eventually put Google ads or something - all the extra money I would make will go to Tarn Adams of course.

I don't know Wikia or other free services but I don't mind paying for now.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Senso ]

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Very nice, and thanks for hosting this.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

I for one, would not mind at all if there were google ads in the sidebar to help rebuff the cost of the wiki, especially if excess went to toady.
I cannot speak for the community as a whole, only as a single member, and not I cannot at all guarantee everyone will be as open to ads as I am.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I registered just to second this.  The wiki made getting started on this game very easy, and if it's going to cost you money to keep it up, I have absolutely no objections to you adding Google Adds to the site to recover the costs.  Thanks for setting it up!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Agreed!  Google ads would be most acceptable.  Doubly so if you get enough extra to give some to Toady.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

If you set up google adds, I will visit regularly just to click.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

Bring on the AD's! The wiki is too valuable to be lost.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

It's up again.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

I could live with Google adds. It's for a good cause.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4