Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: collecting sand  (Read 2689 times)

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
collecting sand
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:56:14 pm »

Ok I know how to collect sand, my problem is not having enough bags. I want to know if there is a way to forbid bags from being used for anything but sand collection. The issue is that my dwarves keep trying to fill them with food instead of using my empty available barrels. I forbid the bags so they go away, but the instant I get the workshop setup for sand collection and unforbid the bag, a dwarf runs in out of nowhere and grabs it taking it for food. This is getting annoying as I am trying to build a large project with glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: collecting sand
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:55:13 pm »

No, there isn't. Pretty much the only way to keep bags, is to do a lot of farming and get a good stockpile of food up, brewing/cooking *all* of your food, processing all of your cloth etc., so all the seeds are made and then stored. After you have a surplus, and no raw plants left, then you can make bags, and they won't be instantly used from the production of new seeds.

once you've made the sand, forbid all the bags, grow food etc, then stop everything next time you need to make glass.

Either that, or make a fort with absolutely no seeds/farming.
Magma is overrated.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:56:24 am »

I remember someone posting a method of making only one, one tile stockpile that allows seeds, and setting it to no-barrels. That way the dwarves are forced to fill seed bags to maximum capacity, rather than putting one seed in one, five in another, and so on. Might be worth a try.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:38:42 am »

Well I finally managed, it was hell to do though. I now am the proud owner of a massive underground waterscape for my dwarves to gaze into. In regards to the stockpile thing that is an idea though I can't do it for my fort (I have over 1000 food items and only 28 dwarves... don't ask). Thanks though

Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:28:36 am »

Would said method work if you put a single tile stockpile with no barrels allowed for each seed type? This appeals to my OCD sorting tendencies.

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Would said method work if you put a single tile stockpile with no barrels allowed for each seed type? This appeals to my OCD sorting tendencies.

I don't see why not.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:26:47 pm »

I'm having similar problems. 2,5 years in, 300 + bags not a single one available for sand, i already have 500 + prepared foods in an attempt to make some bags available, i also constantly am making thread, clth,  dying cloth and when ready making bags of the less expensive cloths and bags or less expensive leathers, yet i mostly see about 10 "empty bags" in my bag stockpile at the most. (wich don't last long before being used) And apart from the prepared meals its not like i have tons of food either, about 200 plump helmets, and sweet pods get brewed right away. Also not using quary bush leaves (no bags). Just can't get my glassmaking started up. (pfft, gonna make 1000 bags, with a legendary clothier and weaver it won't take that long)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:14:58 pm »

I think I have found a way to sort of cheat. I have filled up a bunch of bags with sand. If I need them they are there and as I use them I collect more sand to make sure I always have the same amount. Hopefully will work.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:32:18 am »

I think I have found a way to sort of cheat. I have filled up a bunch of bags with sand. If I need them they are there and as I use them I collect more sand to make sure I always have the same amount. Hopefully will work.

that doesnt really solve the OPs problem, hes asking how he can stop his dwarves stealing all the bags he makes so he can collect sand, and your response is "I have filled up a bunch of bags with sand."  if the OP was able to fill bags with sand in the first place, there wouldnt be a problem

personally i find that bag production/storage has to be further away from your dining hall than your seed storage, as typically dwarves will just seek the nearest bag to stick their seeds in.

but the barrel limit trick will probably work the most effectively (id never even have thought of that)
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »

Your initial seeds each come in a single bag (or more, depending on if you bought more than a bag's worth of seeds), but these bags are all stuffed into a barrel. The easiest way to get your bags out so they can be put on each seed pile is to dump the bags and then reclaim.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday