Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding for more sieges  (Read 2203 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding for more sieges
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 03:44:54 pm »

So if I specifically wanted to get goblins to siege (as opposed to ambush), WHAT would I do?  Getting 80 dwarves is not an option, I am down at 40FPS maximum with only 30 dwarves.  Does this 'endless goblins to punt off cliffs' method create goblin sieges?

Also, is there confirmation that there is no longer a 5-civ contact, in which case I could mod in a load on the civs?  And if I do that, can I get multiple civs to ambush and siege on the same month?

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »

The [INTELLIGENT] tag is just equivalent to [CAN_LEARN] [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_CIV], isn't it?
Does that mean you've created a race of mute non-paedophilic goblins?

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 04:19:54 pm »

So if I specifically wanted to get goblins to siege (as opposed to ambush), WHAT would I do?  Getting 80 dwarves is not an option, I am down at 40FPS maximum with only 30 dwarves.  Does this 'endless goblins to punt off cliffs' method create goblin sieges?

Also, is there confirmation that there is no longer a 5-civ contact, in which case I could mod in a load on the civs?  And if I do that, can I get multiple civs to ambush and siege on the same month?
If 30 dwarfs gives you 40 fps you won't like a siege.....unless you like watching pictures of a siege.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:25:12 pm »

I've removed [BABYSNATCHER] from the civ entry, and from the creature entry I've removed [INTELLIGENT] and replaced it with [CAN LEARN] and [CAN CIV]. Endless goblin swarms to punt off cliffs!  ;D

I assume this would work with other races as well.

I'm testing that right now. Every race but dwarf has those traits. I will try to remember to report back with my findings  :D
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »

Its the exact same behavior as in previous versions. Sieges start randomly. Sometimes you might get a big siege in the very first year, sometimes it might be sometime in the next year, though the size usually ramps up from a start of 1 squad, adding 1 more squad each siege. Sometimes it skips and goes right to the biggest siege size right away, which can be really interesting if you haven't had any migrants yet! ;D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »

I've removed [BABYSNATCHER] from the civ entry, and from the creature entry I've removed [INTELLIGENT] and replaced it with [CAN LEARN] and [CAN CIV]. Endless goblin swarms to punt off cliffs!  ;D

I assume this would work with other races as well.

I'm testing that right now. Every race but dwarf has those traits. I will try to remember to report back with my findings  :D

I haven't tested this on non-goblins, but it works quite reliably with goblins. Since I've made that change, every single world I've generated has active goblin sieges, some happening in the very first year! Build those defenses quickly, preferably a bridge over a channel just in case that particular batch of goblins has trolls. Trolls are kind of rare, but I've noticed kobolds and goblins working together.  :o

Kobolds sneak in through the main doors, thus making it so you cannot lock them without sending a dorf there to recapture the doors, but all too often this happens right before enemy contact in a siege, at the worst possible of all times. The kobolds themselves pose no threat whatsoever, but they do have an extremely annoying tendency to prop the door open for the goblin hordes.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »

Wonderful, that is exactly what I meant: whether that method specifically gave more sieges.  On to battle!
Pages: 1 [2]