Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding for more sieges  (Read 2204 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding for more sieges
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:28 pm »

If I wanted the goblins to Siege me more often, and quicker, do I just need to remove the babysnatcher tag, or do I need to remove it and add Sieger as well?

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding for more sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »

Just removing the babysnatcher tag is enough. The first time I tried it I had no way to kill the gobbos, but they couldn't get into my fort either. By the time one siege had wandered off another one arrived to take its place.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:35:10 am »

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:58 am »

Actually, it is true, until toady implements moving armies across the map, sieges are still generated in the normal way, but you obviously need a civ at war with you and nearby for it to have any effect.

It still works in chaos reigns when i was testing siegers for the newest version.
Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »

Strange. Just removing the babysnatcher tag seems to make it so Goblins are never at war with me. In the embark screen where I choose my starting location, when I tab over to the relations menu it simply says "NO TRADE" or somesuch next to Goblins. No red line or anything indicating fighting.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 10:47:34 pm »

From my own testing, removing babysnatcher removes the cause of war. Without the goblins stealing human and dwarven babies, humans and dwarves leave them alone. Every world I generated without babysnatcher had 0 goblin conflict. I actually removed the elves and let a world with humans dwarves and non-babysnatcher goblins generate to year 1000 and ZERO wars happened.

With babysnatcher the humans and the dwarves attack the goblins.

I've also confirmed this by generating a world with babysnatcher that had TONS of wars between dwarves/humans and goblins. Removing the babysnatcher tag caused complete peace, not a single war in 500 years. With babysnatcher there are huge wars going on all over the map, and the dwarves eventually conquer most of the goblin civs. Without it the goblins are still sitting there at peace.

You might be able to remove babysnatcher after the world is generated. I haven't tried it, I like having the ambushes anyway.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:52 am »

It's a code kludge, I think.  Races with BABYSNATCHER are always at war with you in Dwarf mode - removing it means the workaround to make you always have an enemy no longer exists.

-Angry Lawyer

mizipzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:46:14 am »

So in DF, the only known casue of war is baby kidnapping? Now thats some narrowminded races.  :P

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:53:15 am »

No - if a war is declared in worldgen and not resolved by the end of gen, you'll be at war with them too.  But lasting wars happen a bit unfrequently, hence the workaround.

-Angry Lawyer

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

I thought they were supposed to go to war if they had opposing spheres of worship and such.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 11:04:32 am »

True, but none of the Goblin spheres directly oppose the usual Dwarf ones.

-Angry Lawyer

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »

Ah, a shame. All I can ever seem to get is a single goblin ambush (3-4 goblins and, strangely, a few elves with them) per year and that's it.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:32:51 am »

Ah, a shame. All I can ever seem to get is a single goblin ambush (3-4 goblins and, strangely, a few elves with them) per year and that's it.

Get 80 dwarves. After that, goblins can and will siege, and I have in fact seen this personally in this version.
Check out my books at O and H Books

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 03:12:05 pm »

So, what happens when you give [BABYSNATCHER] to every race? Will everyone go to war with you?

Cause I think Toady removed that limit that only allowed you to have contact with 5 civs (including your own) at once as I'm currently trading with 5 and fighting with 2. If we can get them all to auto-at-war in fortress mode...

Ho ho ho... I wonder what fighting a war with 20 races is like. Will the fighting never cease?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 06:20:50 am »

I've removed [BABYSNATCHER] from the civ entry, and from the creature entry I've removed [INTELLIGENT] and replaced it with [CAN LEARN] and [CAN CIV]. Endless goblin swarms to punt off cliffs!  ;D

I assume this would work with other races as well.
Pages: [1] 2